No hot water - but central heating works

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have gas central heating and water and the water has stopped heating.

I have a cylinder in my airing cupboard and two 2-port motorised valves, one which seems to control the central heating and one which cntrols hot water. I've changed the thermostat on the cylinder and have checked that both valves are operating by turning on CH and HW separately and then moving the lever on the valves to "manual". Both times there was no resistance, indicating that the valves are opening with the motors.

I've tried turning the cylinder stat right down then switching on the HW at the electronic programmer. Then turn up the stat and when it clicks, the boilder fires. However it only seems to stay on for a few minutes then turns off - well before the water has got hot and the stat has kicked in.

Anyone got any ideas as to what might be wrong?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Simon

Sponsored Links
Does the pipe work at the motorised valve get hot?? if not check the header tqank in the loft (the small one) it should be about half full of water, are you sure that the circulating pump is working??

What make & model boiler do you have?? ;)

I've checked the header tank and it's half full. My boiler is a Stelad Group Ideal Elan 2. (?)

I'm not sure what the circulating pump is, but if it's the central heating pump then that seems OK. All the rads throughout the house get hot when CH is on. It's just HW that's acting up!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Kev. Have tried opening the valves manually but same problem - boiler stops after a couple of minutes. Any other thoughts?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back