Halstead best 70 ignition lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

Recently moved into a house with a Halstead Best 70 Boiler, which keeps bringing on the ignition lockout. After pressing reset, it fires up and works, but then stops. Sometimes it can go all day on and off working well.

Fan is nosey, but working.

What happens:

Lockout Light On.
Press Reset.
10 Seconds later fan starts up
1 Second or so later, ignition, flame and away we go.
Boiler runs for 10/20 mins and stops (no lockout light)
Sits for 5 mins.
Click, lockout light comes straight on, no fan, no spark or anything.

Had one chap have a quick look, be he recommend replacing the whole boiler. Then we got talking about the entire system and so things got expensive.

It seems like a consistent fault, so I would think not too difficult to repair. Anything else I can check? Electronics is my business, but not gas, so I don't mind checking a few things.

Thanks
Pinky and Brain.

Sponsored Links
Probably is a fairly simple fault.

Could easily be a faulty PCB with dry joints.

But we don't give DIY advice on gas/combustion issues here.

As its mostly electronics you might be able to work it out for yourself. Just it will have to be without our help.

Its not really a "best" boiler!

Probably quite ready for replacement too.

Tony

Yes, it probably is due for replacement, but house is for sale, so don't want to spend a lot of money if it can be helped.

I'll have a look at the electronics, at least I can do that. I did wonder if it was one of the sensors that might be causing the trouble or a sticky gas valve, but as it always works when you press the button, sticky gas valve seems unlikely.

Cheers, will poke away.

Sponsored Links
You've recently moved in, but the house is for sale? Didn't you like it?

Halstead boilers are generally not very good, Halstead as a company no longer exist and so parts can be difficult to get hold of and expensive as well, and your buyers will appreciate seeing a new boiler on the wall. Time to cut your losses and throw it away

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back