Country
United Kingdom
1) halsted finest gold - gas

2) diverter pin not moving

3) no recent work/changes

4) problem started 1st jan 2009

5) when hot tap/shower is turned on, DHW pin does not move

6) bled all rads, pressure when CH is on maxes at 1.5 bar-ish

hi experts, i have a halsted finest gold and the pin at the end of the diverter valve that usually presses the DHW microswitch is not moving as expected.

i realise this is typical of a diaphragm failure but i was wondering if there was anything else i should check before calling a plumber or attempting diy (i am an engineer but not a boiler one). i was thinking maybe the expansion tank pressure may be low - would this affect actuation of the diverter?

Sponsored Links
Diaphragm is holed, try opening two hot taps does this make the boiler fire.

yes, the boiler fires with shower and bath taps on full - does this diagnose problem as diaphragm? how tricky a job is it and can someone with good spanner skills complete it?

Its the diaphragm holed for deffinate then.

very easy to replace. do you have the instructions manual.

;)

Sponsored Links
very easy to replace. do you have the instructions manual.

thankyou very much for your help

yes i have the manual here, it sounds pretty straight forward.

i'll be looking for a flow switch diaphragm kit onlone, suggestions are welcome. also i know i have to detach the dhw pressure sensing pipes - will the o-rings required to refit these come with the kit or will i need to purchase these extra?

They come as extra, though silicon grease or a tad of Vassaline helps the seal.

Again very easy to do with instuctions to hand for DIY, and some "experts" :LOL:

;)

i'll be attempting this on monday.

thanks again for the advice, i will post the outcome when complete.

IIRC, the water section is very similar to some of the Ariston Combi's. I have fitted many diaphragms to the Halstead Finest Range that were a fraction of the cost because I used Ariston Parts.

Dave

that is interesring - i don't suppose you know how to identify if my flow valve assembly is suitable for using ariston parts?

thanks in advance as always

Call 02083659999 and ask for Simon

I have never known a man who has never been 'on the tools' to understand boilers like he does.

If you cant get him at first, hold until he will take your call. Even at retail you will save approx 90% (and that includes postage as he will send it via royal mail to save you expensive courier costs)

And yes, Ive looked and the whole water section is used by most Aristons.

Most... not all.

Simon will give you a definate answer.

I work on a lot of applinces so dont take my word as gospel!

Dave

called simon, got equivalent part number halsted/ariston - he even found me one in stock locally.

£6 plus vat, the halstead part is £50+ apparently?!

there was a half inch tear in the old diaphragm so thanks for the diagnosis! fitted new part and everything appears to be fine.

thanks to all for your help, and thanks for helping me save quids.

Not necessarily. My parent's Halstead Finest suffered from exactly this problem, no hot water unless two taps were opened.

Upon dismantling the diverter valve it was very stiff to move but the diaphragm was OK. Some careful treatment with wire wool, kitchen roll, and silicone spray got it going again.

It does make sense to change the diaphragm while the diverter's in bits though.

?!

there was a half inch tear in the old diaphragm so thanks for the diagnosis! fitted new part and everything appears to be fine.

Duh! just noticed this.. must remember to read the whole text before answering questions :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back