halstead finest platinum hot water switches off after 30secs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Halstead Finest Platinum Combi boiler. The central heating works ok but when turning the hot water on the water heats for about 30 seconds and then goes cold with the reset light turning to Red. I have had 6 call outs by an engineer and nothing has been resolved. The engineer has replaced the following items: Diverter Valve, pump and the central heating sensor but I'm still left with the initial fault. Any ideas what the fault is?

Sponsored Links
I am not that familiar with this model , but it sounds like your boiler is going to overheat lock out on h.w ??? I assume that u do not have a seperate overheat reset button ?????

Sponsored Links
I am not that familiar with this model , but it sounds like your boiler is going to overheat lock out on h.w ??? I assume that u do not have a seperate overheat reset button ?????

Thanks for the info. Checking the diagnostic LED's it appears that the overheat thermostat is activated.

Plate heat exchanger

Thanks for the info. If it is this, what is the cost for repair? It's strange that the central heating is fine.

When your boiler is in the h.w mode , the heated water from the boiler is pumped around a plate exc , e.g it short circuits around the boiler , as petit pablo indicates if your h.w plate exc is restricted , than there is a possibility of the boiler over heating , also when your boiler is in the h.w mode it is (probably) under the control of a seperate stat/ sensor (thermistor), these can be checked by your rgi .

Plate heat exchanger

Thanks for the info. If it is this, what is the cost for repair? It's strange that the central heating is fine.

When your boiler is in the h.w mode , the heated water from the boiler is pumped around a plate exc , e.g it short circuits around the boiler , as petit pablo indicates if your h.w plate exc is restricted , than there is a possibility of the boiler over heating , also when your boiler is in the h.w mode it is (probably) under the control of a seperate stat/ sensor (thermistor), these can be checked by your rgi .

Thanks again, this does make sense.

They dont have to be replaced.

We generally clean them but where possible bring a ready cleaned one for a quick changeover on site. In out local area we charge £136.

They get blocked by dirt from the radiators. If its taken several years to get blocked this time then it would be about the same length of time before it blocks again.

The non invasive test is to measure the flow and return temperatures at the plate. It should normally be about 15-20°. Much more and its getting blocked or already blocked.

Fitting a magnetic filter or even a gauze strainer will usually trap most of the dirt before the boiler but then they have to be regularly cleaned.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back