Hammeright radiator paint????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All, 1 of the radiators in a conservatory had quite a large patch of rust. As you can see by the photo I have rubbed it down & feathered the edges. Will the above paint hide the bare patch or will it show through? Should I prime just the patch? Also reading other posts Hammerite may not be the right paint to use to use. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian.

Attachments

• 20230827_075952.jpg
    20230827_075952.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 42
Sponsored Links
Hammerite is a pig to use and to paint over.

Satinwood paint is fine.

Use an oil-based rust-resisting primer on the bare steel first.

I haven't done mine yet. I plan to use red oxide primer on rust followed screwfix water gloss. Water zinsser primer and the gloss was confirmed to be good on pipes coming out of the boiler. It didn't discolour or fail. If the patch doesn't blend, painting the whole radiator is an option.

Sponsored Links
Hi DIY nut job, like you I'm just a diy'er but I feel water based paint doesn't cover like good old oil based paints used to.

Hi foxhole, reading this & older post's I have ruled out radiator paints. But thanks for your reply.

Brian

Hi DIY nut job, like you I'm just a diy'er but I feel water based paint doesn't cover like good old oil based paints used to.
Covers for me, or I wouldn't be using it. Maybe you are not priming, or maybe you don't shake it well. If you are saying water paint is different to oil paint, then yes one is water the other oil :) Advantage of water paint is it doesn't yellow and easy for spot repair.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back