Which Metal Garage Door Paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm in the process of renovating my garage door which is galvanised metal and so far have rubbed it down and applied primer to all patches of bare metal.

I'm now trying to decide what top coat to use and have been looking at Hammerite Gloss White Garage Door Paint. Has anyone used this paint or have any opinions please? Does it dry slowly enough to make painting a large surface easy, without the paint edge going dry?

Although I have rubbed down the door, wouldn't a gloss paint show up every imperfection and so maybe a satin finish would be better suited?

Having done a search on the web, there also seems to be a fair number of people who don't like Hammerite in general for whatever reason.

Thanks for looking :)

Sponsored Links
All I can offer is that I used red hamerite garage door paint to cover a series of A4 filing cabinets that are now in my garage full of screws and tools. They were grey or green originally

I applied the paint with a foam roller and they look ok, obviously smaller than a garage door.

The real question here is: what primer have you used??

If you have used the correct primer for galv, which could be a special metals primer, calcium plumbate or whatever, and any rust treated with a rust killer primer, then there's no reason why you can't just use regular undercoat then the topcoat.

Hammerite would possibly look rubbish on a garage door, partly because it can be difficult to apply on large surfaces as it's quite thick.

Regular oil-based undercoat and gloss looks best on garage doors IMO.

Back to the primer, the primer has to be the correct type, otherwise it can peel off galvanised surfaces.

Sponsored Links
I have never used calcium plumbate but Crittal recommend zinc phosphate primer for their galvanised windows..

I am in complete accordance with the rest of Sparkwright's post.

Use oil based undercoat and gloss, add some Owatrol if you want the paint to flow nicely.

I strongly suggest that you sand down the primer that you used and apply the correct primer. If you don't, expect the paint to (potentially) chip off in time.

I did use Hammerite recently to paint my old cast iron soil pipe but I that was the first time in years. I only used it because it had previously painted with some kind of pseudo bituminous paint and the cellulose base in the Hammerite didn't reactivate the based (unlike oil based paints).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back