Hand Cleaners - recomendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm running dry of my special hand cleaner that removes even dried in bitumen on my hands. I don't know the name of the stuff, as it was given to my by an old friend. The lable is worn off. It's a clear liquid, but is a bit like paint thinners, but doesn't dry as quick.

I've tried doing the same with Swarfega, but the bitumen still suck to my hands leading to my wife complaining about finding small bits of bitumen everywhere I touched! lol

Anyway, has anyone got recomendations on which hand cleaner is best (& cheapest!) which will remove tough stains on your hands such as bitumen, oil based paints, etc, without the need to clean my hands in paint thinners. :eek:

I've spotted that Screwfix has Painter's hand cleaner, but only 300ml @ £6 is a bit ambitious. I'd rather have at least 1litre tub under the kitchen sink.

Thanks all. :)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I use petrol :eek:
very unhealthy

soaks through the skin into the bloodstream

I don't know if it will cause cancer of the hands but I wouldn't be surprised :(

http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947327894 said:
If you have got petrol on your skin, remove soiled clothing, wash the affected area with lukewarm water and soap for at least 10 – 15 minutes and seek medical advice.

use barrier cream before you start?
paint hands with PVA and allow to dry? ( skin tight gloves.. :) )
wear gloves?

was this a liquid or a gel?

I use these and you only have to use a normal bar of soap after.
159-scrubs.jpg

Is this the stuff you were on about?

forget all the expensive builders wipes, just get cheap baby wipes from the supermarket. I havent found anything they dont get off yet!

I keep forgetting about using barrier cream, as I'm the sort who picks up a job at home, then that leads me onto something completely different. When it's wash up time, that's when I say 'who the eck am I gonna get this off?' :oops:

I sort of remembered the name yesterday and by the power of Google, I found the stuff. It's called Slig. It removes everything from your hands.

I'm gonna have a noisey about the cleaning supplies local to me to save on postage.

Thanks chaps! :D

you might have mentioned it was a white paste then.. it would make ID'ing it much easier..

Anyway, has anyone got recomendations on which hand cleaner is best (& cheapest!) which will remove tough stains on your hands such as bitumen, oil based paints, etc, without the need to clean my hands in paint thinners. :eek:
When I was in the Bitumen market I used to use Olive Oil, much kinder to your skin ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back