Destroyed Hands

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll probably get slated for this but for those of you that suffer from the above...:whistle:

I seem to be able to destroy my hands with relative ease - with 2 small children in the house even the frequent handwashing will get my skin cracking at the knuckles - chuck in any house renovation work and I start getting cracks at the tips and in random places along the length of my fingers. My GP prescribed some ointment that helps a bit but it needs a good 4 days of use (and stopping any manual work) before I see a result.

I've used Swarfega Protect for a while now and while it helps it's not prevented the issue.

I overheard a tradesman in a shop recently raving to a mate about 'Working Hands' and how good it was, anyway Screwfix have started selling it so I thought I'd give it a go.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/gorilla-glue-o-keeffes-working-hands-cream/3301f

It is absolutely brilliant stuff! It took 48 hours to go from having hands like sandpaper with multiple cracks at fingertips etc to having hands that are 'normal' and I'm still working on the house at full pace (still using the swarfega) - I just use working hands when I get up and when I go to bed.

My only problem with it is I've had to buy another tub of it as my wife has stolen the first!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes I have destroyed my hand, well my work mate helped a bit, I was doing a job under protest as not my line of work hammering stones out of a concrete re-cycling machine when my mate removed my lock and turned the machine back on, 5 broken bones, de-gloving of hand, with skin grafts and 12 years on still not mended.

Think I should try this cure?

There are two ways to protect the hands, gloves but ensure they are big enough, and barrier cream and a soap designed for that barrier cream. They have to be used as a pair. No good trying to mix and match. It depends if you need water proof or not as to which type, and some solvents will remove some but not others.

When I had a job with workers under me it was up to me to look after them. We had been supplied a load of paperwork under the COSHH regulations as to what products will likely do to one. However one product did not have any paper work with it, it was a fire stop which worked very like using poly-filler and we applied it with a mastic gun then smoothed off with a little water.

Since one worker seemed to have problems I decided to just check this stuff was as mondame as I had thought. Just in case I thought. Well once I had got the sheet I had to completely change working practice. It was very nasty stuff. One does need to be careful things can slip through the net.

Also there is where the person is allergic to something. With my son and I it is tomatoes. Eat one pizza OK, but have a second next day and skin starts to peel in my mouth. Skin a bowl full of tomatoes OK, but then must not touch them again for a week. We here about things like PCB's (PolyChlorinated Biphenyls not as in Disc World Books particular crunchy bits) but in real terms we often have not got a clue if what we are working with is safe of not. I know working with hydraulic oil would clean my hands great. But in Sizewell 'B' a pipe with a special hydraulic oil in it burst and the site was closed down while the fire resistance fluid was cleaned up it was it seems very dangerous.

So rather than look for a better cleaner better to look at keeping you hands clean.

Sponsored Links
I can recall that there was a study and Nivea hand cream came out tops for hands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back