Very dry hands

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do you do to combat dry hands? My right hand is constantly dry, to the extent that my skin has started cracking between my fingers, which is painful to say the least. My left hand is also dry, to a lesser extent.

I think the problem is my work - handling cash, cardboard, dry and dusty stock, frozen and chilled products, it is very tough on my hands.

I have taken to applying liberal amounts of "nivea mens face moisturiser" to my hands at night before bed.

I also think ecolab's antibac hand wash is partly to blame (its what we use at work, and i wash my hands with it at least 5 times a shift) - i think it contains no moisturiser at all!

I thought here would be a good place to ask, since the forum consists of plenty of tradesmen, who do much tougher work than me. ;)

Any advice? Recommended products? :D

Sponsored Links
Neutrogena Norweigan Formula Hand Cream is excellent. It also acts like a barrier cream so should protect your hands. A little goes a long way.

In between applications of that, I use any rich moisturising hand cream - but get a cream specifically for hands - you need it nice and thick. Aqueous Cream is quite good and cheap - you can get that from the chemist. Bepanthen nappy rash cream is really good too - I use that on tattoos. It helps skin heal and is a barrier too.

The Neutrogena will help heal the cracks in your skin as well. Can't recommend it enough.

Yep, that Neutrogena stuff is good. Vaseline takes some beating for dry skin and is unbeatable on cracked lips. Cue jokes. :rolleyes:

I completely agree with Alison.
I hate handcreams and the like, but sometimes my hands get so bad, splits everywhere, and they get so rough they get snagged on certain materials.

Just daub the neutrogena stuff on when you go to bed. I make sure it actually goes in the cracks.. and in the morning you'll notice a big difference.

Sponsored Links
yeah it's been round ages.... i have (ICE) after mrs martians number and my home number on my mobile phone.

not sure that it's to be used if i get really dry hands tho :rolleyes:

This works for me, big tub vaseline, smear thick layer all over, get someone to fit latex gloves, sit and wait and skin absorbs. Do on a regular basis and skin will be like babies bottom, hands are also a lot easier to keep clean when nice and soft and smooth.

Weird, thats the second 'new thread' post ive done thats ended up in the middle of another thread about somthing completely different :confused:

I think you should see your doctor, thats more than dry skin you've got, hope you get it sorted ok.

Must admit, it sounds a bit like an allergy or a form of dermatitis probably caused by the handwash. I can't use any of these handwashes or soaps that you find in shops and offices and public toilets cos they make my hands so sore.

If you can avoid using the handwash for a while, see if that improves things. Even if you have to take a bar of your own soap into work in a little soap dish, do that. Also use lots of good moisturiser in the meantime and if there is an improvement, then you know it's the handwash. If no improvement after a few days, then see your doc - you might need some kind of treatment.

If no improvement after a few days, then see your doc - you might need some kind of treatment.

Sounds like good advise, bit of an allergy. If the Dr gets a big tub of vaseline and latex gloves out,

RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!

And don't drop the little soap dish that you've got your bar of soap in!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Washing up liquid does the very same thing to my hands (cracks between fingers)

I must avoid washing up at all costs.

What job is it that involves you having to wash your hands so much?
They should supply disposable gloves if you need to wash so frequently
It the handwash and the frequency of washing taking all the natural oils out of your hands and probably causing something like dermatitis?
Barrier cream may help also

Sponsored Links
Back