Hand Drier and Water Heater Rating on a single Spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, this is the situation ...

Toilet, two cubicles, two hand basins and a hand drier. As far as I can make out, and I've not had time for a really good poke about, but there's a spur from the ring main to the 1.9kW hand drier via a switched, unfused connector then carries on to a 1kW water heater via an switched, fused connector.

Now the water heater and drier have been there for at least 15 years and are showing their age; still work but the plastic is yellowing and I'm thinking of replacing them. If I move to an unvented undercounter water heater, it will look nicer and supply the two basins. Problem I've found is there seem to be very few low powered water heaters nowadays. Question to the expert on here, what power ratings can I go for before I seriously have to look at running more cabling?

Sponsored Links
Why don't we fit 1 sink and 2 hand dryers.

I'm sure it takes people longer to dry their hands, than wash them :)

It's not a great throughput loo. There's perhaps 10 folk in the office tops.

Get the wiring sorted first. The hand dryer should not be on an infused spur. There should be a FCU at 13 a. This can also supply the water heater.

Sponsored Links
Should you be doing work in commercial premises?

To answer the actual question - 1.1 or 1.2kW.

Get the wiring sorted first. The hand dryer should not be on an infused spur. There should be a FCU at 13 a. This can also supply the water heater.

So you're saying both connectors should be fused to derate them?

No. I'm saying there should be FCU before the hand dryer. The water heater can be on the same one.

No. I'm saying there should be FCU before the hand dryer. The water heater can be on the same one.

Ah so supply to FCU to derate, then the output from it goes to drier and water heater

Should you be doing work in commercial premises?

To answer the actual question - 1.1 or 1.2kW.

Gads no I'm not going to do any of the work. Boss can bring in the trades to do all that. I've been tasked to get an idea of what's involved and see if there are any expensive surprises. Already spotted a different type of heater's needed so wondering if extra cable is needed, and since the building's a pig to work on, running new copper would be expensive, time consuming and disruptive

The sensible option is to change the isolator on the hand dryer to a fused spur. Disconnect the water heater from the arrangement and run a new supply to it, size the supply to whatever size water heater you wish to have.... whether that be a 3kw unit with some water storage, or a 9kw instant unit.

Yes. The sensible option. Yes. Problem is the sensible option in this building would involve lifting glued down carpets, floorboards, going through 2" thick joists and a 12" masonry wall just to get to the toilet, then there's more floor and tiles to lift. Sensible it may be but it rapidly becomes very expensive :(

I suggest you get someone in to have a look, There is possibly an alternative route which has been overlooked.... and even if not, if one goes into a job like this on a Saturday morning when the office workers are all enjoying a lie in, then these things don't normally take too long.

12" Masonry wall is pretty standard... my 'normal' set of drill bits for getting through walls that lives in the box with the drill are all 18" long.... I also have 1M bits, but I can count on one hand the amount of times I have needed them!

Do you get paid any extra to 'sort' out the electrics?

We work for a charity. We don't get paid anything extra to 'sort' things out as you put it. If a room needs repainted, we roll up our sleeves and do it out of hours. If the floor needs cleaning, we do it ourselves. We have a very limited budget to bring in outside help because we try to disperse as much of our income as we can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back