hand mitre saws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You know the old traditional manual mitre saws like this

Do many of you guys still use these for small jobs and are they any good for making accurate mitres?

Have used a marples mitre clamp in the past but that only does 45 degrees so considering something like this.

My electric mitre saw is only used for rough cuts as its not very accurate....Seems like overkill for a 15mm bead anyway.

What are you thoughts on the hand mitre saw as a cheap option for occasional use?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
They are cheap enough and do more angles than just a 45. This is useful if a so called "builder" has built your house and has no clue what a 90 degree angle is.

I have the Nobex Champion mitre saw. With a new blade it will give you fairly accurate cuts up to 180mm in height. Not a "cheap" option though.

https://www.axminster.co.uk/nobex-champion-mitre-saw-610314

I never got around to learning to drive and find the fact that it will fit in my rucksack (when disassembled) extremely useful for small jobs.

They even have blades suitable for cutting stainless steel. Came in really useful when I was doing the mitres for my 6" stainless steel kitchen upstands.

Sponsored Links
Blades go blunt eventually. Maybe you don't use it that much so its never went blunt.

I still haven't got the foggiest.

If you mean, do I sharpen my blades, no I don't.

When my blades go blunt, I buy a new blade. AFAIK the blades cannot be sharpened (aren't all mitre saw blades induction hardened?). They are only about 20 quid though.

BTW they sell several blades, ranging from 10 to 32tpi, and even a Japanese blade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back