Handybits Easy Crypto

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had the above installed for several years but it has suddenly stopped working.
I have attempted to download it again from various sites without success. Always getting runtime error 216 00003AB0
I have a number of work related and private encrypted folders which i can now no longer access.
does anyone know whether:
A. where this program can be downloaded successfully.
B. Software to decrypt the files. I believe the folders have Blowfish encryption

Sponsored Links
Sounds like ransom-wared. Joking, donno.

Windows comes with encryption system also. Less likely to be a ransomware. But the data is gone if the key is lost or storage file is corrupted. The windows encryption is computer-bound and cannot move freely from system to system. I use the portable variety and it does the job.

I have seen this problem before on Windows. There is a good possibility that your machine has been infected with the "SubSeven Trojan virus"

I have added a couple of links

1 To explain it

2 Microsoft have a tool to get rid of it. BUT before you RUN it. COPY your files to a USB Pen/External Drive/ CD/DVD as the Fix may delete them.

I use Avast and SuperAntiSpyware (Norton is Crap and not used in Business) for Virus Protection.

Hope this helps.

I can't really help with either, other to say that I don't think option B will work. Blowfish is a standard algorithm, but each program will have it's own file markers and suchlike. While theoretically possible to decrypt Blowfish files (assuming you know the key), it would take significant effort to write an app that meets Handybit's implementation, especially without knowing the file spec.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.
Have tried the above but no sub-seven trojan detected.
Is there a place i can safely / successfully downlod handybits easycrypto ?
i can then decrypt the files and store them elsewhere.

If you have access to another PC (Or even a friends/family) Install Easy Crypt on that and put the files etc on a USB pen and then try to decrypt them.

(Uninstall after you no longer need on their PC)

If you can't get access to another PC, There are Win 10/7 usb pen Bootable images which you can boot from into windows and then install easy crypt on it

If you Google for the error code, 95%+ results refer to a Virus

Thanks for your responses everyone.
I'll try your suggestions and let you know the outcome.
Re: the possible virus i have scanned using AVG and the Microsoft suggestion from itmog.
Neither have detected any virus.
is there a more comprehensive scanning tool you could suggest ?

I have had the above installed for several years but it has suddenly stopped working.
I have attempted to download it again from various sites without success. Always getting runtime error 216 00003AB0
I have a number of work related and private encrypted folders which i can now no longer access.
does anyone know whether:
A. where this program can be downloaded successfully.
B. Software to decrypt the files. I believe the folders have Blowfish encryption
I am facing same problem. Currently using Windows 11. Encrypted the files on Handy Bits easy crypto some 10 years ago, and cant seem to install it now. Same error code while installing 216 00003AB0
Any luck on your side?

Yes and no. Luckily I still had the old windows 8 pc and managed to download easycrypto onto it so was able to transfer the encrypted files back to it and decrypt.them and put them on a flash drive. Gave up trying to download easycrypto on the new pc though.

Its possible that you have been ransomware'd. Hackers out there are highly skilled at tracking down peoples crypto wallets and ransomwaring them. The thing is if you were ransomware'd you'd get a ransom note to pay the hacker to decrypt it.

What makes you think it is encrypted?

It looks more than likely that your windows install is borked to me.

Do you still have access to the file/ folder system that the app is installed in? If so I would:

1. immediately copy the data inside the application folder (specifically the wallet file or if you can't be specific the whole folder) it to a USB stick (ideally 2 or 3 USB sticks as borked windows can fail catastrophically any time)
2. locate another machine and rebuilt it with a fresh OS. Windows 10 minimum.
3. download and install the app back onto your clean OS.
4. copy and overwrite the files from the USB into the other system that is clean built

Most likely this will work. I don't think you have been ransomware'd.

You may have been straight robbed however. This is also unlikely though depending on how you answer these questions:

Have you been downloading dodgy software and installing it?
Have you been watching movies downloaded from file sharing sites?
Is your OS older than Windows 10?

If you answered yes to any of the above you are at risk of being hacked. Its easy money for the hackers if you know how. Lets say im a hacker. I put put a RAT (remote access tool) into a video that I upload to the pirate bay. That video gets 1 million downloads. I write a script to search all my RATS for bitcoin wallets. I steal them all. I laugh and go any buy the misses a £1000 bottle of champagne.

I work in IT security. I am on the right side of the fence bro (white hat). Most likely you are OK. Its probably just Windows has **** the bed.

Leave the PC intact. Copy the files out. Get another clean built PC. Try again over there.

Also, if you are dealing in crypto, get a cold storage wallet. They are (almost) unhackable. I use a ledger X nano.

Yes
Yes
No

My 200GB vhd drive of movies got formatted recently. Was a bit annoyed. Although, I wasn't sure if I formatted it by mistake.

Its possible that you have been ransomware'd. Hackers out there are highly skilled at tracking down peoples crypto wallets and ransomwaring them. The thing is if you were ransomware'd you'd get a ransom note to pay the hacker to decrypt it.

What makes you think it is encrypted?

It looks more than likely that your windows install is borked to me.

Do you still have access to the file/ folder system that the app is installed in? If so I would:

1. immediately copy the data inside the application folder (specifically the wallet file or if you can't be specific the whole folder) it to a USB stick (ideally 2 or 3 USB sticks as borked windows can fail catastrophically any time)
2. locate another machine and rebuilt it with a fresh OS. Windows 10 minimum.
3. download and install the app back onto your clean OS.
4. copy and overwrite the files from the USB into the other system that is clean built

Most likely this will work. I don't think you have been ransomware'd.

You may have been straight robbed however. This is also unlikely though depending on how you answer these questions:

If you answered yes to any of the above you are at risk of being hacked. Its easy money for the hackers if you know how. Lets say im a hacker. I put put a RAT (remote access tool) into a video that I upload to the pirate bay. That video gets 1 million downloads. I write a script to search all my RATS for bitcoin wallets. I steal them all. I laugh and go any buy the misses a £1000 bottle of champagne.

I work in IT security. I am on the right side of the fence bro (white hat). Most likely you are OK. Its probably just Windows has **** the bed.

Leave the PC intact. Copy the files out. Get another clean built PC. Try again over there.

Also, if you are dealing in crypto, get a cold storage wallet. They are (almost) unhackable. I use a ledger X nano.
So if I gave you my IP address, could you hack my network and gain access to me VM's and Linux servers?

It depends what ports you have open and exposed to the internet and what software versions you are running. Have you been applying software patches? Have you setup any NAT rules?

Usually if you installed compromised software it would only be the hacker that coded it that you would be open to.

Fail to patch however and there are almost certainly exploits that, depending on severity will various levels of access to your system. The longer the system is unpatched the more exploits there will be and the deeper they will go.

Its actually very difficult to keep a system fully protected. I rebuild mine every 6 months.

Last edited:
Have you been applying software patches?
No. I completely block microsoft. I see them as the greatest threat to me. They once killed 3 of my SSDs simultaneously. Sandisk and OCZ were permanently lost. The cheap china Kingdian SSD survived but data all gone. Luckily I had back up on a hard drive that I control using a power switch - it cannot be touched.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back