Handybits Easy Crypto

When I was running important accounts, I used to backup files to CDs and store them in a different building. The shed will do. Old-fashioned technology, but hackers can no more reach them than a fire or burglar could. Like you would have spare keys somewhere. Incredibly cheap and simple.

In a small office you can post the disks daily. In those days it was far cheaper than offsite storage, and it is more hack-proof than online backup, which is more appropriate to the risk of disk failure.

You do need to test file recovery at setup and occasionally thereafter.

Sponsored Links
@DiyNutJob Yes you are actually 100% right there. They are the enemy. Was that a Linux OS by any chance? They did the same to me. I was dual booting a Debian OS on one partition and Windows 10 on the other. Microsoft deleted the partition. Just like. After some research I confirmed it was Microsoft that did it as well. I use Linux as well now wherever possible and keep Microsoft as far away from core work as it possibly can be.

If you must use Microsoft just make sure all your data is not on their systems. For multiple reasons.

When I was running important accounts, I used to backup files to CDs and store them in a different building. The shed will do. Old-fashioned technology, but hackers can no more reach them than a fire or burglar could. Like you would have spare keys somewhere. Incredibly cheap and simple.

In a small office you can post the disks daily. In those days it was far cheaper than offsite storage, and it is more hack-proof than online backup, which is more appropriate to the risk of disk failure.

You do need to test file recovery at setup and occasionally thereafter.
Smart move. Cold storage is the safest. For crypto use a ledger x nano

So if I gave you my IP address, could you hack my network and gain access to me VM's and Linux servers?
I'd be happy to give your IP address quick scan to tell you what you have got exposed. Private message me your IP and i'll take a look.

Its usually possible to determine software and patch versions of any ports that are exposed to the internet. If there are any exploits on those versions that could be used by a bad actor to get in I can let you know so you can fix it up.

Sponsored Links
I'd be happy to give your IP address quick scan to tell you what you have got exposed. Private message me your IP and i'll take a look.

Its usually possible to determine software and patch versions of any ports that are exposed to the internet. If there are any exploits on those versions that could be used by a bad actor to get in I can let you know so you can fix it up.
some odd results it would seem. This was from shields-up scan

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2024-03-05 16-30-27.png
    Screenshot at 2024-03-05 16-30-27.png
    241.9 KB · Views: 26
some odd results it would seem.
Not at all, just normal operation.

The text on the GRC site about various ports and particularly 139 is severely outdated.
There was a time when certain Windows operating systems accepted incoming connections from pretty much everything. However that was in the days of Windows 98 and individual dial-up internet access.

NetBIOS over TCP/IP is disabled by default, has been for a couple of decades, and the options to change it are hidden away where most users will never find it.
Even if they somehow did enable it, pretty much any cheapo router including those supplied for free by ISPs will block that and everything else by default.

Not at all, just normal operation.

The text on the GRC site about various ports and particularly 139 is severely outdated.
There was a time when certain Windows operating systems accepted incoming connections from pretty much everything. However that was in the days of Windows 98 and individual dial-up internet access.

NetBIOS over TCP/IP is disabled by default, has been for a couple of decades, and the options to change it are hidden away where most users will never find it.
Even if they somehow did enable it, pretty much any cheapo router including those supplied for free by ISPs will block that and everything else by default.
so there are no threats of anyone being able to get into your network even if you run windows...this machine is not running windows but it tells a scan that it is.....and millions of people are using an outdated site for checking their devices...so this cyber things is bluff then...actually, its called an Industry so it means it is wealth extracting.

so there are no threats of anyone being able to get into your network even if you run windows
There are plenty of threats, but they don't come via port 139 or generally from unsolicited incoming connections.
Far more likely is the use of a compromised IOT device within the home network.

and millions of people are using an outdated site for checking their devices
They are. That GRC Shields Up site is 25 years old.
25 years ago the problem it describes was valid.
Today it is not. Windows 98 and other DOS based variants of Windows are ancient history,

There are plenty of threats, but they don't come via port 139 or generally from unsolicited incoming connections.
Far more likely is the use of a compromised IOT device within the home network.

They are. That GRC Shields Up site is 25 years old.
25 years ago the problem it describes was valid.
Today it is not. Windows 98 and other DOS based variants of Windows are ancient history,
So by IoT device, what does that mean? I run a cortex arm processor on my combi heating system and it has a few communications in the sub Ghz frequency (BT/Zigbee/NFC/802.11/.5). How would my network be compromised by gaining access to the web interface of my controller? What privileges could be escalated onto my desktop for example....sounds like this cyber stuff is used to extract wealth by scaring the uninformed.
So if I connect a PicoW on my network and give you the local address and my outside IP address, can you demonstrate getting onto my desktop via the Pico?
ps How old is windows/linux/unix...I don't see the relevance of age if it uses the same protocols and methods as when it was developed all of those years ago. What is the relevance of age in this context?

Devices on the local network have significant access to everything else on that network.
If you install a device which has some security problem in it which allows remote access, that device can then be used to attack other devices from inside the network, bypassing the router / gateway / firewall or whatever is installed.
Mitigated by connecting all the IOT crap into it's own network partition, but most home users won't know what that is or how to set it up.

So if I connect a PicoW on my network and give you the local address and my outside IP address, can you demonstrate getting onto my desktop via the Pico?
No, because such access would require a known security vulnerability on the PicoW or whatever it was running.
Most of the security problems are with consumer grade devices such as smart TVs, thermostats, smart plugs and so on.
Some random examples:

When such problems are found, devices can be updated to fix them. However vast numbers of consumer devices won't be updated because the manufacturer either decides not to support the product any more or there is no update option.

Windows 98 and other DOS based Windows are no longer a problem, because no one uses them any more. That entire product line was made obsolete over 20 years ago. DOS and the Windows which ran on it are dead.
They were single user operating systems where everything ran as the admin / root user and had basically no security of any kind. Designed long before individual internet access was considered.

Devices on the local network have significant access to everything else on that network.
If you install a device which has some security problem in it which allows remote access, that device can then be used to attack other devices from inside the network, bypassing the router / gateway / firewall or whatever is installed.
Mitigated by connecting all the IOT crap into it's own network partition, but most home users won't know what that is or how to set it up.

No, because such access would require a known security vulnerability on the PicoW or whatever it was running.
Most of the security problems are with consumer grade devices such as smart TVs, thermostats, smart plugs and so on.
Some random examples:

When such problems are found, devices can be updated to fix them. However vast numbers of consumer devices won't be updated because the manufacturer either decides not to support the product any more or there is no update option.

Windows 98 and other DOS based Windows are no longer a problem, because no one uses them any more. That entire product line was made obsolete over 20 years ago. DOS and the Windows which ran on it are dead.
They were single user operating systems where everything ran as the admin / root user and had basically no security of any kind. Designed long before individual internet access was considered.
using the pico as an example...you have access via the other devices on the network because they all share the same sub net right!
No security there, they can all see each other and therefore control each other right!
The pico is a rubber ducky like attack platform...it does not need a vulnerability, it is the exploit path. So that's not just the pico but a lot of other multi million deployment devices.
A few lines on the pico will create a new admin on a windows machine as it would in linux right!

So these devices have introduced a whole new attack vector have they not?

The last windows version to support DOS...windows 10 32 bit..and there is of course DOSBox...last full release was summer 2019

The last windows version to support DOS...windows 10 32 bit..and there is of course DOSBox...last full release was summer 2019
Virtualisation and emulation, which allow certain old DOS programs to be used.
All versions of Windows since XP in 2001 have used the NT kernel, which is unrelated to DOS.

So these devices have introduced a whole new attack vector have they not?
Yes. Poorly designed junk which allows remote access to itself with little or no security can then be used to access devices within the same network.
For anything meaningful to be done, some exploit is still required such as running other code on the device, but such things are common, devices are rarely updated.

Virtualisation and emulation, which allow certain old DOS programs to be used.
All versions of Windows since XP in 2001 have used the NT kernel, which is unrelated to DOS.

Yes. Poorly designed junk which allows remote access to itself with little or no security can then be used to access devices within the same network.
For anything meaningful to be done, some exploit is still required such as running other code on the device, but such things are common, devices are rarely updated.

well I'm sure up for that bet with you.
What is it you want me to add to my network (devices) so that you can demonstrate remote access, control and then have them issue commands to other devices on the network.
What do you suggest would be a great demonstration? Have a skull and crossbones appear as a screen saver like you see in the movies?

Sponsored Links
Back