Hanging a basin on a crumbling wall!

On reflection, if I did install a pedestal, presumably this will take most of the basin weight? Even if I used a decent adhesive to stick the basin to the tiled wall, it should cope given that most of the weight will be sitting on the pedestal.

is this the case?

Sponsored Links
You could cut a couple of plywood strips, big enough to insert horizontally, into the slot in the wall, with glue on the left and right tips. Once in the wall cavity, rotate the strip 90° and pull it towards you so that it stick to the backside of the plasterboard/wall panelling. Once these have cured and are stuck, you can then screwfix/bolt the basin through them.

Sponsored Links
UPDATE: I removed the basin and wooden batten on which it was mounted today. I pushed some liquid nails into the existing holes and then mounted the rawl plugs. I then also applied some liquid nails to the batten. I then hung the batten and left it overnight.

seemed pretty solid the next day. The basin is hanging on there again. Seems pretty solid but you’ll be the first to know if things head south...

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back