Hanging a cabinet on plasterboard wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

Hoping someone can help me. I've got a cabinet to hang on my bathroom wall (stud/plasterboard) & I'm wondering if it's gonna be too heavy. It's 10kg (empty). I'm not planning on putting much weight in there, but still :\

From reading, it seems my best bet is to find a stud & mount to that, but the cabinet is only a foot wide, which means I'm only gonna hit one stud & of course murphys law says it'll be nowhere near the centre line of the cabinet...

The cabinet is quite tall (1m), so would it be OK to screw it into a noggin thru the plasterboard with some hefty screws? (assuming there is one near-ish the top of the cabinet)

Or would I be looking at chopping out the plasterboard, screwing a batten across multiple studs & mounting to that? I'm reluctant cos the wall is tiled & making it good afterwards just seems like ugly waiting to happen.

Are there any magic plasterboard fixings out there that will hold 10kg + cabinet contents? I won't be storing lead ingots in there, but still not much point in a cabinet I can't put stuff in.

Thanks in advance for help. Muchly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
If you can find a stud or noggings you can certainly fix to or failing that you can use a fixing like Spoit driva plus they are rated at 12kgs per fix up to an ultimate load of 60kg are used for kitchen cabinets. There is others dont go for the plastic fixings go for the metal fixings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back