Hanging a heavy radiator.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a new radiator to fit in the bedroom, took down a 600x1400 single and replacing with a type 21 600x1800 so its a fair bit heavier, its going on i think its breeze block, looks like compressed gravel and breaks up easily with about 15mm of plaster.
I'm thinking 8x70 coach screws should be plenty with fischer sx plugs, its three brackets as well, will this be okay.

Sponsored Links
Great, it was only after taking delivery i realised how heavy it was, then its to be filled with water. And those blocks just seem so flimsy.

Fella, are you going to use the bedroom to grow drugs or something:eek:
Going from 1400 to 1800, then single panel to type 21, surely this baby will produce more heat than you will ever need unless all the windows are wide open. I take it you have ensured the pipe feeding the rad is adequate else it will be akin using gnat flatulence to power Tornado fighter jet

Sponsored Links
Yes some of the breeze blocks can be, I tend to use the thunderbolt method on rads. But they are not as good as using wall plugs in blocks that are of a lesser density.
In tend to fix each bracket on the heavier rad with three fixings rather than the two.

Going from 1400 to 1800, then single panel to type 21, surely this baby will produce more heat than you will ever need unless all the windows are wide open.
Yes as above the size increase is quite substantially, what is the reasoning behind this?
Have done the appropriate heat loss calculation to size the radiator, in case the original was not correctly sized.
A 1800mmx600mm type 21, will heat up very large area in well insulated area

Fella, are you going to use the bedroom to grow drugs or something:eek:
Going from 1400 to 1800, then single panel to type 21, surely this baby will produce more heat than you will ever need unless all the windows are wide open. I take it you have ensured the pipe feeding the rad is adequate else it will be akin using gnat flatulence to power Tornado fighter jet

The system throughout the house is very old and all the panels are undersized for every room, not to mention were soon to be going to a combi boiler so the panels need upgrading, i'm taking out all the old pipes as they are constantly banging and the installation was such a poor one, pipes spring up when floor boards are taken up, no clips anywhere and its 1/2" throughout, leaks appearing all the time.
I'm replacing with 22mm and 15mm to each radiator.
At the minute the system wont get the house to above 19c it will stay on indefinitely.

I have done, and sized for t35.

Room came to 1363 W, radiator is 1445 W at t35. The size down is 1283 W.
Unless i have made a mistake somewhere. Its my understanding that its better to go too big than too small, especially for a combi that will be controlled by individual radiators (evo home).

Last edited:
All good, but for the sake of a few extra quid, idve gone for a k2 instead of p+. Minimal weight difference, better heat output.... The extra convector makes a difference (y)

One other question, does evo home satisfy the reg for zoning, as i wont be fitting any zoning valves. That's even if as a diyer i have to comply with them, i am aiming to though. Only bit of the job i'm not doing is the new boiler. Just leave two 22mm pipes for them to connect to.

As a DIYer you're bound by Building Regulations every bit as much as professionals are. Evohome does satisfy the requirements for zoning...when it's working o_O

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back