Hanging and Finishing Oak Veneer Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How many doors would a pro be expected to hang in a day? Ball park. I'm feeling a bit 'diy-smug' about doing one in just over 2 hours, and I'm really pleased with it!

Next- I finished it with 3 coats of Fiddes Hard Wax Oil- looks fab. Now I read that you shouldn't use it- oo-er! I have more to do (this was to see if I could do it and be happy with it), so what would the experts use?

Thanks.

CG

Sponsored Links
Depends how close to the position you can work as lugging a heavy door about can slow you down, depends on tools available ,but I can hang a door in 45 mins all being well and if my knees don't give way.

I did 6 over 2 days my first time doing doors and I must have averaged about 2-3 hours each.

Depends how close to the position you can work as lugging a heavy door about can slow you down, depends on tools available ,but I can hang a door in 45 mins all being well and if my knees don't give way.

Mmm, not so smug then! I have loads to do, so I hope to get a bit better. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Mmm, not so smug then! I have loads to do, so I hope to get a bit better. Cheers.

I class myself as an excellent diyer though and was quite smug when I did them all in 2 days. Lets be both equally smug :D

I have hung a total of 12 oak veneer doors and found that no 2 doors are the same in terms of speed to hang starting from scratch with new hinge positions in old casings that I also oak veneered before hanging. Some are sweet with very little work and then others were just hatefull things just will not play ball, all because of out of square screw-wif original casings .
I finished mine with I coat of carls hardwax and then one coat of carls hardwax revival which I then buffed up - its a beautiful factory looking finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back