hanging baskets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im making some small hanging baskets out of trawlnet buoys for xmas presents. They will hold about 1.5 to 2 litres.

What would be good ideas for planting in them? I'd like to include some seeds with them, perhaps herbs or flowers?

I have a few rather smaller buoys too that might make attractive ultra-miniature hanging baskets. I guess they would hold about half a litre. Is this totally impractical for growing anything in?

Thanks in advance for help.

Sponsored Links
I have used these but did not like them. The rain & watering caused the compost to disappear from holes!

Sponsored Links
Hanging baskets dry out quickly, small hanging baskets even more so. But with regular watering, there's no reason why they shouldn't be successful. If you're not planting them up yourself, it would be a good idea to include a sachet of water-retaining gel with each basket. Places like Wilko's sell a box pretty cheaply and you only need a small amount for each basket.

For planting - small varieties like viola, pansy, lobelia. Tough herbs - thyme does well in hanging baskets and smells nice. Chamomile too. Tumbling cherry tomato. Alpine or everbearer strawberries. Small-leaf varieties of ivy. Small trailing succulents are drought tolerant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back