Hanging Kitchen Wall Cabinets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am replacing my kitchen, one of the walls was not brick, and I was expecting it to be a stud wall with plasterboard. However the existing cupboards were screwed through the back into the wall.
I have removed a few of the cupboards and cut back some of the plaster. It looks like the wall is made of some form of OSB type material.
Although this is much better than plasterboard, I have never seen this and was wondering the best way to fix the cupboards to the wall? The existing screws went into wall plugs, but as I understood it wall plugs were not needed for going into wood.
Also has anyone seen this style of construction before and can you give any indication of its make-up for future reference?

Sponsored Links
It's a common method of construction, plasterboard on osb backing, gives extra strength and allow screwing directly without plugs, previous installers obviously did not check wall construction before they fitted.

Thanks Foxhole,
When you put it like that it makes sense. Should make the work a lot easier than expected. The ironic thing is that I was ready with a chisel to take back the plasterboard and fix some timber to the stud work! You would not believe the good luck I have had with this project to date.
MB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back