Hanging lining paper over embossed wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 1930's semi and the main bedroom ceiling has nice, neat white embossed wallpaper on the ceiling. However, one corner has had a leak so this needs patching up by a plasterer. Once that has been done, is it ok just to hang lining paper over the whole ceiling or will the embossed paper underneath show through?
We've had four quotes but each plasterer has said something different in terms of having the whole ceiling plastered. I'm reluctant to remove the existing paper all together as its only one corner that's affected.
What is best? Can we line the whole ceiling or should we take all the paper off and skim the whole ceiling? I'm very confused about what to do.

Sponsored Links
Take the paper off & do whatever is necessary to repair & make it look good; if it needs it, have the whole ceiling re-skimmed; at most a day’s work & it should certainly cost less than £200. It will look like a pig’s ear if you get one corner re-plastered & then stick lining paper over that & the embossed paper!

Thanks Richard C. I agree, we need to take the paper off and have the whole ceiling skimmed. Until we get the paper off we won't really know what needs doing. If all the plaster comes off leaving bear boards/lath will it need more than a 'skim'?
We are planning to carefully sponge soak the wallpaper this weekend and see how easily it comes off before getting a stripper-guy in.

Sponsored Links
If it’s plaster board; any that’s been badly damaged by the damp will have to be cut out & a new board sections let in & blended in with the surrounding area. If small areas of plaster come away exposing the boards, it may be feasible to skim/fill these locally but if it's too bad then re-skim the whole ceiling or it may end up looking like a patchwork quilt. If the original plaster is de-laminating generally, the easiest & quickest solution is to completely overboard the ceiling & apply a new skim over that; I ended up doing this on a flat roof extension where the original ceiling would have just needed too much work to redeem.

If it’s a lath & plaster ceiling, I have no experience with these at all so, hopefully, others forum members will be able to advise you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back