Hanging off beams in attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a request for a hanging chair to be hung in an attic bedroom. There's a big wooden beam in the ceiling where it wants to hang, but I have a feeling that drilling and screwing into this is probably a bad idea?

I think I could probably get in above where I need to hang it as it is at the edge of the tiny loft space in the top of the roof. So I could potentially loop something over the beam and bring it down both sides of the beam without drilling anything structural.

Anyone have any ideas of what is the right thing to do here and it there's a particular type of fixing i should use?

Beam is the big one going along into the picture, I want to hang it near where Miffy is.

Thanks
Joe

Attachments

• IMG_20210207_144132474.MP.jpg
    IMG_20210207_144132474.MP.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 157
Sponsored Links
Obviously I can't see how that beam is attached so this is mostly guesswork.
I wouldn't get too hung up on drilling in to it - assuming that's the "customer" in the bottom right of the picture, you're unlikely to need such a large fixing that the beam would be compromised by the resulting hole [take up your first floor floorboards and look at all the notches in the joists where the plumbing goes - that'll give you something to worry about :D]
Attempting to pass a rope over it is far more likely to lead to problems, IMO.

You can screw into that purlin, just don't do it to close to the bottom.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back