Hanging Panels on partition wall and from ceilling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am in the process of converting my spare bedroom into a music room, part of which requires hanging framed slabs of cavity wall Rockwool insulation onto the walls and ceiling. The frames are 1000mm x 600mm x 180mm and made of plywood. The Rockwool inside the frames is 100mm thick. They are reasonably heavy but nothing too bad. If it would help, I can ask the neighbour to borrow their scales and get a rough weight.....

So, one of the walls is a plasterboard stud wall and I'm not sure exactly what to use. I've seen these:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/27238/Fixings/Cavity-Fixings/Metal-50mm-Self-Drill-Pk100

and these:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18266...Hollow-Wall-Anchor-5-x-43mm-6-13mm-Pack-of-10

but I have no idea which would be best or most appropriate for use in both the wall and the ceiling.

Unfortunately there is not enough timber frame in the wall to screw into those, so I'll definitely have to fix to cavity sections. On the other hand - if I can, should I aim to hit joists every time in the ceiling?

Any help would be great, and if any more info is needed to help answer please fire away.

Cheers

Max

Sponsored Links
Why mess around with plywood to frame rockwool, are you trying to sound insulate the room?
You have frame 180mm deep and only 100mm of rockwool? whats the extra space for?
To sound insulate if you have the space just put a 100mm[deep] X 50mm [wide]frame on the wall , rockwool between and plasterboard over the top.

Thanks for the reply. But no - I'm acoustically treating the room which is very different to soundproofing. And the traps I have are used in studios across the world and based on a tried and tested design.

I have no problem with the traps.....

Just need to know how to hand 'em!!!

Thanks all the same for the advise mate.

Sponsored Links
screw battons horizontally to the wall into the studs and then hang the acoustic panels on those..
same for the ceiling..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back