Hanging pipework beneath floor joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm renovating a 1950s bungalow and looking to tidy up the central heating. Nice new Vaillant combi boiler was fitted in the kitchen not long before we bought the place but the CH & HW pipework still follows the routes from the old gravity sytem, i.e. up & down into the loft to where tanks used to be for no reason. Half the rads are fed from the loft & half from under the floor... etc...

Ground floor is suspended timber & I'm in the process of replacing all the floorsboards with ply (woodworm problem) and sticking 100mm of insulation underneath whislt the floor is up.

Whist I have access, I'm thinking of re-piping the CH so all the pipework is under the floor. Wondering if there was any reason why I couldn't/shouldn't fix all the pipework to the bottom of the floor joists rather than notching/drilling to go through? I have a load of pipe insuation so not too worried about it from that point of view.

Also thinking of using Hep2o for most of it. Is aesthetics the only real reason not to use plastic right up to the rads? (thinking new white pipe would look ok?)

Thanks, Nick.

Sponsored Links
Always fix pipework to underside of joists with lockover clips (depth allowing) , running parallel with joists not a problem as pipework is layed on dwarf walls.

Considering floor joists will be around 100mm depth not a good idea to notch/drill.

thanks - but bit confused about your comment about the pipework being layed on dwarf walls?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back