Hanging TV on chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some advise please

Wanting to hang a TV on a chimney breast but have a flueless heater also fitted.

Is there a floating type shelf available that can be fitted above the heater so that it doesn’t damage the TV?

See attached picture for reference

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• CD922B1F-638A-46FA-9BAD-9313381E6B73.jpeg
    CD922B1F-638A-46FA-9BAD-9313381E6B73.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 280
Sponsored Links
There's lots of complete solutions for floating shelves. Just a quick Google will turn up a tonne of answers. Ikea does cheap floating shelves. I don't know how they'd do with the heat of that fire though. You might want to look at something in solid wood instead.

For the actual fixings, there's a thread on this first page titled "TV Wall Bracket" that goes in to depth about various fixings. You might want to give that a read.

If I was installing on that chimney breast, the first thing I'd do is work out if it's brick with a direct skim of plaster, or if it's something called dot n dab (dot and dab). With plaster, you can fix straight through to the brick behind. Red Rawl plugs or brown if you want to use fatter longer screws will do. Since the surface is solid then it won't crush in as you tighten the screws.

Dot n dab will be hollow in places. Use Rigifix (M6 size). They'll provide a way to bridge the hollow gaps so the bracket has something solid to fix to without putting pressure on the platerboard/fireboard that forms the chimney breast facia.

If this and any other posts helped you, then pay the authors the compliment of hitting the thanks button. It shows your appreciation and marks the reply for those looking for answers in the future.

I would never hang a TV above one of those fires. The heat given off the top is just too much, shelf or not.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back