TV cable on chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just after a bit of advice please.
We are in the process of getting an old fireplace ripped out, we want to board over the opening and put the TV on the chimney breast.

My dilemma is what to do with the cables?
Thinking power cable, HDMI cables and TV aireal.

Rather than chisel a channel in the wall, I am thinking drill a hole straight into the chimney and thread the cable through the chimney itself to a hole in the new plaster board at the bottom.
This should also make it easier to change cables in future if needed.

My worry is as the chimney is still open at the top, will condensation become an issue?

Should I put something in the hole through the brickwork to protect the cable?

Should I put an air vent in the plaster board?
Or would this encourage condensation?

Any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can't help with the ventilation issue but I'd include a plastic pipe with gentle bends, of wide flexible conduit.
It will keep the cables clean and aid cable drops without allowing crud to blow through.

Imho too many TVs on chimneys are too high. If you have the chance, hang the tv at different heights before starting work and find the best height for you. Personally I'd whack a big bit of ply on the chimney, making it easy to move the bracket. Once you have the height sussed, go ahead.

Allow for all cables, power etc, inc additional boxes. Or use the fire hole as a lined storage box for "set top" boxes/ surround system etc. Could have a door?

Can't help with the ventilation issue but I'd include a plastic pipe with gentle bends, of wide flexible conduit.
It will keep the cables clean and aid cable drops without allowing crud to blow through.

Imho too many TVs on chimneys are too high. If you have the chance, hang the tv at different heights before starting work and find the best height for you. Personally I'd whack a big bit of ply on the chimney, making it easy to move the bracket. Once you have the height sussed, go ahead.

Allow for all cables, power etc, inc additional boxes. Or use the fire hole as a lined storage box for "set top" boxes/ surround system etc. Could have a door?

Thanks for the reply.

Plastic piping for the cables is a great idea, imagine it to be tricky to put in but worth it for ease in future.

Yeah agree about the height me and the wife were debating on the TV height last night, I think it will be a lot lower than we first thought (we even debated whether or not it needs to go on the wall, as some modern TV stands seem to be quite high).

We looked at converting the fire place into a media unit at the start of the project but we are not sure it will be big enough and as it would have a plaster boarded ceiling I was a bit concerned about condensation and damp again.
Also TV unit would give us room to hide the kids bits.

Thanks again

When you block a fireplace like this an air vent is essential, usually at the bottom. If the chimney is on an outside wall the air vent can be on the outside.

Regarding TV height it should be so that you don't look up to it when viewing.

Sponsored Links
When you block a fireplace like this an air vent is essential, usually at the bottom. If the chimney is on an outside wall the air vent can be on the outside.

Regarding TV height it should be so that you don't look up to it when viewing.

Brilliant thought that might be the case, we can put an air vent in and hide it behind the TV unit.

Glad both replies have said that the height should be lower rather than higher, as that is the way we have been thinking.
We were actually just trying to weigh up what gains there will be over hanging the TV on the wall or putting it on a unit.

Any thoughts most welcome

Thanks

Unit vs wall mount is swings and roundabouts. A unit solves your cabling issues. However, a lot of what's plugged in to the back of the set remains on show even if tidied up a bit. However, it's easy to change stuff in the future.

The chimney breast is likely to be the focal point in the room, but might be facing across the short axis which in smaller rooms can feel like the TV is on top of you. The chances are that TV sizes will only continue to increase. As they do though it becomes harder to hide the artefacts from upscaling standard def TV. Some might reply that they only watch the HD channels, and that would be a valid comment if it could be guaranteed that all the content on those HD channels was indeed HD in nature too. The thing is though, there are a lot of reruns, and those programmes weren't shot in HD, and there's only so much that the TV stations can do with scaling. During lockdown, there were a lot of old footy matches played out in place of the cancelled matches. Those were very far from HD quality.

Regarding TV height, this might be useful. Forf reference, 42" is the average eye height of a seated adult if they're not slouching.

Q2QHlX.jpg

This is the recommended positioning, and it works for screen up to 60". If the screen has to be a bit higher then a tilting wall bracket can be useful in helping to angle the TV picture towards the seating height.

Once you get above 60" then the recommendations start to change because the bottom of the TV image gets closer to floor level with a centralised set up. We use something like this instead:

3jTGo8.jpg

Here, the eyeline is levelled at a point 1/3rd the height of the picture. You'd also want to use a tilting bracket. It doesn't need to be much to square up the picture, and most brackets allow up to 15 degrees which is plenty of adjustment range.

Something important to consider is the position of the seating relative to the screen, and more specifically, the type of LCD panel used, if indeed you're using LED LCD. Some brands (Sony, Samsung, Panasonic amongst them) use a type of panel called a VA (vertical alignment) which has the advantage of better black level than the alternative type (IPS), but at the expense of some colour shift/colour loss when viewed at 20 degrees or more off axis.

With a corner room layout, more of the seating is generally in a tighter viewing cone than when a TV is mounted and firing across the short axis of the room.

The alternative LED LCD screen technology is called IPS - In Plane Switching. It has wider viewing angles but the black never really gets black. There's always some light leakage through the panel. LG is the best known user of IPS panels, but because of the way the TV manufacturing market works, there are occasions where panels are sold to what appears to be rival brands, so you could end up with an IPS panel in a Sony or Samsung.

Check out your own TV's viewing angles. Make sure you're at eye level with the screen, then move off to view from progressively wider angles.

If you're still going with chimney mounting - and that might well be the best solution for you so make an informed choice based on what you and your family need rather than being influenced either way by us - then for cabling I would also think about the audio side of things. Flat screen TV speakers are generally pants. A sound bar can make a world of difference. The sound bar will need power and an audio signal of some type. The audio feed could be on a headphone jack for budget sound bars, or an optical for something in the £60-£200 range, or via HDMI ARC for sound bars at £100 upwards depending on brand and features. (Yes, I'm aware there's some overlap. That reflects the reality of the TV sound bar market. It's not cleanly divided.)

For routing the cables, definitely go with the piping idea. 68mm diameter guttering pipe is cheap, and there are 112.5 degree angle joints which will help make a smoother arc across the back of the chimney. Finish off with a brush plate covering the pipe exits at eaither end. Add a pull string to make running the next cable easier.

Go with power, enough HDMI cables to cover your needs, aerial and maybe Ethernet if wireless is a bit ropey in the house.

For the sound bar you'll need a power socket and audio connection as detailed above.

Good luck and come back with any further questions before you set to with the actual project.

Unit vs wall mount is swings and roundabouts. A unit solves your cabling issues. However, a lot of what's plugged in to the back of the set remains on show even if tidied up a bit. However, it's easy to change stuff in the future.

The chimney breast is likely to be the focal point in the room, but might be facing across the short axis which in smaller rooms can feel like the TV is on top of you. The chances are that TV sizes will only continue to increase. As they do though it becomes harder to hide the artefacts from upscaling standard def TV. Some might reply that they only watch the HD channels, and that would be a valid comment if it could be guaranteed that all the content on those HD channels was indeed HD in nature too. The thing is though, there are a lot of reruns, and those programmes weren't shot in HD, and there's only so much that the TV stations can do with scaling. During lockdown, there were a lot of old footy matches played out in place of the cancelled matches. Those were very far from HD quality.

Regarding TV height, this might be useful. Forf reference, 42" is the average eye height of a seated adult if they're not slouching.

Q2QHlX.jpg

This is the recommended positioning, and it works for screen up to 60". If the screen has to be a bit higher then a tilting wall bracket can be useful in helping to angle the TV picture towards the seating height.

Once you get above 60" then the recommendations start to change because the bottom of the TV image gets closer to floor level with a centralised set up. We use something like this instead:

3jTGo8.jpg

Here, the eyeline is levelled at a point 1/3rd the height of the picture. You'd also want to use a tilting bracket. It doesn't need to be much to square up the picture, and most brackets allow up to 15 degrees which is plenty of adjustment range.

Something important to consider is the position of the seating relative to the screen, and more specifically, the type of LCD panel used, if indeed you're using LED LCD. Some brands (Sony, Samsung, Panasonic amongst them) use a type of panel called a VA (vertical alignment) which has the advantage of better black level than the alternative type (IPS), but at the expense of some colour shift/colour loss when viewed at 20 degrees or more off axis.

With a corner room layout, more of the seating is generally in a tighter viewing cone than when a TV is mounted and firing across the short axis of the room.

The alternative LED LCD screen technology is called IPS - In Plane Switching. It has wider viewing angles but the black never really gets black. There's always some light leakage through the panel. LG is the best known user of IPS panels, but because of the way the TV manufacturing market works, there are occasions where panels are sold to what appears to be rival brands, so you could end up with an IPS panel in a Sony or Samsung.

Check out your own TV's viewing angles. Make sure you're at eye level with the screen, then move off to view from progressively wider angles.

If you're still going with chimney mounting - and that might well be the best solution for you so make an informed choice based on what you and your family need rather than being influenced either way by us - then for cabling I would also think about the audio side of things. Flat screen TV speakers are generally pants. A sound bar can make a world of difference. The sound bar will need power and an audio signal of some type. The audio feed could be on a headphone jack for budget sound bars, or an optical for something in the £60-£200 range, or via HDMI ARC for sound bars at £100 upwards depending on brand and features. (Yes, I'm aware there's some overlap. That reflects the reality of the TV sound bar market. It's not cleanly divided.)

For routing the cables, definitely go with the piping idea. 68mm diameter guttering pipe is cheap, and there are 112.5 degree angle joints which will help make a smoother arc across the back of the chimney. Finish off with a brush plate covering the pipe exits at eaither end. Add a pull string to make running the next cable easier.

Go with power, enough HDMI cables to cover your needs, aerial and maybe Ethernet if wireless is a bit ropey in the house.

For the sound bar you'll need a power socket and audio connection as detailed above.

Good luck and come back with any further questions before you set to with the actual project.

Thank you so much for such detailed informationation, it will certainly make our life easier with positioning.

I think we will go with wall mounting as it will look neater with the hidden cables.
68mm down pipe with a puley is a good idea, just need to get my hands on a 68mm diamond hole saw for the brick.

I have been doing a bit of research and stumbled across the fact that in some countries it's illegal to feed the power cable through the wall. I can't find anything about the UK though.
Do you know if it is OK to do so over here?

Thanks again

you dont "need" a hole saw to go through the brick. its easier yes but you can drill a series of holes in a circle to match your pipe size then bash out the bit in the middle.

if you think you will ever have any drilling work in concrete, or though brick walls, this is a good time to buy a SDS+ drill.

I confess I have a cheap one, which is very heavy, but I have very infrequent need for it, and I think it paid for itself on the firsrt job, so all subsequent work was "free". It can also "chisel" or "break" and I got a set of cheap steels and core drills in the kit.

if you think you will ever have any drilling work in concrete, or though brick walls, this is a good time to buy a SDS+ drill.

I confess I have a cheap one, which is very heavy, but I have very infrequent need for it, and I think it paid for itself on the firsrt job, so all subsequent work was "free". It can also "chisel" or "break" and I got a set of cheap steels and core drills in the kit.

I already have a SDS drill and I have to agree it's a great bit of kit, but I don't currently have any core drills.
So I may have to keep an eye out for cheap set of diamond or carbide core drills

Thank you so much for such detailed informationation, it will certainly make our life easier with positioning.

I think we will go with wall mounting as it will look neater with the hidden cables.
68mm down pipe with a puley is a good idea, just need to get my hands on a 68mm diamond hole saw for the brick.

I have been doing a bit of research and stumbled across the fact that in some countries it's illegal to feed the power cable through the wall. I can't find anything about the UK though.
Do you know if it is OK to do so over here?

Thanks again
Regs are different for different countries.

It looks like the UK regs are open to different interpretations. Also, things are complicated by the fact that not every home's consumer unit contains RCDs and RCBOs. Then there are issues such as what's happening with the electrical circuit where power will be drawn from. It's one of those 'YMMV' scenarios.

The basic safety advice is that the sort of mains cable supplied with/attached to a TV isn't really designed to be encased in a wall. There are concerns about it heating up and causing a fire. That's valid. However, in your case it's not really being buried in a wall (the main concern); it is being run inside some trunking, and there should be sufficient air space so that overheating isn't really an issue. One potential hiccup is if the cable is a bit on the short side, and so ends up getting pulled taut. That will create hotspots where the cable is pulled tight over some ridge. This would be compounded by the fact that the cable is out of sight.

Personally I would have a double socket installed a few inches higher than the bracket position. This would make it easier to mount the TV since you wouldn't be juggling the power cord whilst getting the TV on to the bracket. It would also help to avoid any audio interference from running mains cable an low voltage/ AV signal level voltage parallel to each other for 2-3 mtrs.

Regs are different for different countries.

It looks like the UK regs are open to different interpretations. Also, things are complicated by the fact that not every home's consumer unit contains RCDs and RCBOs. Then there are issues such as what's happening with the electrical circuit where power will be drawn from. It's one of those 'YMMV' scenarios.

The basic safety advice is that the sort of mains cable supplied with/attached to a TV isn't really designed to be encased in a wall. There are concerns about it heating up and causing a fire. That's valid. However, in your case it's not really being buried in a wall (the main concern); it is being run inside some trunking, and there should be sufficient air space so that overheating isn't really an issue. One potential hiccup is if the cable is a bit on the short side, and so ends up getting pulled taut. That will create hotspots where the cable is pulled tight over some ridge. This would be compounded by the fact that the cable is out of sight.

Personally I would have a double socket installed a few inches higher than the bracket position. This would make it easier to mount the TV since you wouldn't be juggling the power cord whilst getting the TV on to the bracket. It would also help to avoid any audio interference from running mains cable an low voltage/ AV signal level voltage parallel to each other for 2-3 mtrs.

Brilliant, thank you for the information.

So it's more of a guideline really, I will see how easy it is to add a socket behind the TV.
So just need to pick a TV and bracket now to make sure I position the socket correctly.

Thanks

My Sony has a power brick with a figure of eight lead and maybe a metre of transformed power (12v?
It could be possible to buy an extension to the lower voltage side if it worried you.

However, loads of TVs don't use this system and run mains so I wouldn't make it a deal breaker.
TVs are nowhere near as heavy as they were 5 or 10 years ago

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back