How best to hide cables etc

View media item 101414View media item 107175View media item 107176I ran them in conduit before being plastered. Stick in some spares, and stuff you think you don't need now, like extra ethernet. Terminate anything properly where you can, and those you can't have a brush plate

We use the stove irregularly, but would do so - the timber faux lintel protrudes 4" or so, and the stove is in the alcove - means there is no direct line of sight of radiant heat. Obviously there's still convection and ash/smoke.

Nozzle

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
View media item 101414View media item 107175View media item 107176I ran them in conduit before being plastered. Stick in some spares, and stuff you think you don't need now, like extra ethernet. Terminate anything properly where you can, and those you can't have a brush plate

We use the stove irregularly, but would do so - the timber faux lintel protrudes 4" or so, and the stove is in the alcove - means there is no direct line of sight of radiant heat. Obviously there's still convection and ash/smoke.

Nozzle
what will you do if you ever need to change a cable?

There's enough "future proof" in there for 10-15 years of HQ TV entertainment, plus you can route two. Once/if tech changes then there will be gender-benders available and beyond then the decor will be looking tired and need doing again anyway. Use quality cables in the first place, protect the open connections from plaster splatters, and do everything you can to avoid them being damaged by the work.

You want to avoid having significant horizontal slot in your brickwork, I think there's a limit to the depth so you're not just gutting out the brick. I had some capping in there on the corners and I think there was a slot routed in the back side of the fake lintel.

You can see that I had threaded bolt bonded in the brick and then bolted the lintel on with blind holes:
View media item 101415
Nozzle

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi all. One problem I did have was that I could only fit one hdmi cable. The tv takes three, but one of them is for the arc for the soundbar. And one of the others is set up so the cable would stick straight out of the back of the telly and I didn't have one of those little right-angle HDMI male-to-female converters, so I just went with the one HDMI. Which will be fine in the short term (we only intend to put the TiVo box in there) but I'm sure I'll soon find something else that should be there.

The best option would be to get a right-angle HDMI thingy and run another wire, but is there any reason a HDMI switch like this wouldn't work instead?

upload_2021-11-6_21-37-37.png

obviously it isn't as good as having a second cable to the TV, but this would work in a squeeze wouldn't it? Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back