Soundbar purchase (a general enquiry)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Samsung television is 17 years old at least, so it isn't a smart TV. It does have an HDMI-in port, but no HDMI-out — just an optical-out. Recently, the sound has deteriorated a lot. I have tried vaccing out the grids under the set, blowing compressed air in, but it still leaves much to be desired. I suppose the speakers are not as good as they were. So, I am considering buying a sound bar. Even if the sound were restored only to standard of the TV when it was new, that would be fine, as we don't listen to much music on TV. Mainly, in our old age, we are concerned about being able to discern clearly what people are saying (on the news etc.) However, my technical knowledge is very limited, and, because our TV may not last much longer in view of its age, I have to consider that eventually, we shall be buying a new TV. This is where thinking about soundbars becomes problematic (for me, anyway). I am afraid of spending money on a soundbar, then finding out that, though it was suitable for our present TV set (using an optical connection), it is not suitable for a different kind/make of TV (which, I suppose, would be a smart TV). Can it be taken for granted that any soundbar will suit any television set, with regard to connecting it? For example, is there a choice of connection-in ports, such as optical cable-in, HDMI-in, on all sound-bars, or is it necessary to be very circumspect and well-informed when buying one, lest one buys the wrong kind? The idea of going shopping for a sound-bar daunts me very much, and here, I'm only thinking of whether it would connect to my TV, and work properly — not whether it might not be the best quality sound etc.

I should be grateful if someone could reassure me about this. If I screwed up the confidence to buy one, I should naturally be very careful — iwith regard to other considerations — about which one I buy.
With thanks in advance,
L.L.

Sponsored Links
Can it be taken for granted that any soundbar will suit any television set, with regard to connecting it? For example, is there a choice of connection-in ports, such as optical cable-in, HDMI-in, on all sound-bars, or is it necessary to be very circumspect and well-informed when buying one, lest one buys the wrong kind? The idea of going shopping for a sound-bar daunts me very much, and here, I'm only thinking of whether it would connect to my TV, and work properly — not whether it might not be the best quality sound etc.

No, things move on constantly, I have a decent sound bar under the TV, but it's useless for our most recent TV. If your TV is 17 years old, it is time it was replaced anyway, it will pay for itself in time, in electricity bill paid.

No, things move on constantly, I have a decent sound bar under the TV, but it's useless for our most recent TV. If your TV is 17 years old, it is time it was replaced anyway, it will pay for itself in time, in electricity bill paid.
Thanks, Harry. There would be no sense, really, in buying a soundbar then, because the old TV could pack in soon. I'm surprised, though, to read what you say about electricity bills and old TV sets. Does any given old set really use more electricity than when it (the same set) was new? Is that what you meant? Or were you comparing the newer TV sets with the old ones because some (perhaps all, for aught that I know) modern sets have a transformer, so that they use only a few volts?
L.L.

Sponsored Links
Does any given old set really use more electricity than when it (the same set) was new?
Old devices use the same today as they did when new.

However a new TV will use significantly less electricity compared to a 17 year old one.
Power consumption for your existing one can be found on a label on the back.

So, I am considering buying a sound bar. Even if the sound were restored only to standard of the TV when it was new, that would be fine, as we don't listen to much music on TV. Mainly, in our old age, we are concerned about being able to discern clearly what people are saying (on the news etc.)
We have one of these. When we bought ours, it wasn’t advertised as a soundbar as such but described as a TV speaker and good for speech. https://www.johnlewis.com/bose-tv-s...J-INnpbenERienauRsxoCLkwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I think soundbar or external speakers are recommended for smart/panel/slim TV's anyway as they cannot get a decent speaker in them.

I think soundbar or external speakers are recommended for smart/panel/slim TV's anyway as they cannot get a decent speaker in them.

I agree and they are very variable from model to model - my own modern LG's, three of them, do sound surprisingly good, despite the tiny speakers. When buying them, I was fully expecting to need to splash out on a soundbar, then found it was completely unnecessary.

Our Samsung television is 17 years old at least, so it isn't a smart TV. It does have an HDMI-in port, but no HDMI-out — just an optical-out. Recently, the sound has deteriorated a lot. I have tried vaccing out the grids under the set, blowing compressed air in, but it still leaves much to be desired. I suppose the speakers are not as good as they were. So, I am considering buying a sound bar. Even if the sound were restored only to standard of the TV when it was new, that would be fine, as we don't listen to much music on TV. Mainly, in our old age, we are concerned about being able to discern clearly what people are saying (on the news etc.) However, my technical knowledge is very limited, and, because our TV may not last much longer in view of its age, I have to consider that eventually, we shall be buying a new TV. This is where thinking about soundbars becomes problematic (for me, anyway). I am afraid of spending money on a soundbar, then finding out that, though it was suitable for our present TV set (using an optical connection), it is not suitable for a different kind/make of TV (which, I suppose, would be a smart TV). Can it be taken for granted that any soundbar will suit any television set, with regard to connecting it? For example, is there a choice of connection-in ports, such as optical cable-in, HDMI-in, on all sound-bars, or is it necessary to be very circumspect and well-informed when buying one, lest one buys the wrong kind? The idea of going shopping for a sound-bar daunts me very much, and here, I'm only thinking of whether it would connect to my TV, and work properly — not whether it might not be the best quality sound etc.

I should be grateful if someone could reassure me about this. If I screwed up the confidence to buy one, I should naturally be very careful — iwith regard to other considerations — about which one I buy.
With thanks in advance,
L.L.
You're correct to be circumspect. Take nothing for granted. It is possible though to buy some sound bars that will cover both bases; optical that you need right now and HDMI ARC that you're very likely to need in the future.
1689906967245.png

This is the rear connections of the Denon DHT-S416 at £249. It isn't the only sound bar with such a feature. I just happen to know that it has both sockets.

Something else to consider is how you'll control the sound. It might seem odd to bring this up, but I'll explain. If you're new to external audio systems then you might expect that the optical sound level will vary when the TV volume buttons are used. That would be a perfectly reasonable assumption. However, optical stays at a fixed level. It's the sound bar speaker itself which changes volume and not the optical signal level. This is why all sound bars come with a remote control.

You've been using your Samsung TV for 17 years, so you're used to picking up the TV remote to change the sound level. That's also probably what you did with the previous TV too. The habit is well ingrained. Changing what you do so you remember to pick up the sound bar remote would come to after a while, but there would be plenty of times when you'd end up putting the TV speakers on at the same time as the sound bar. That's not ideal. It would sound slightly strange.

It would be handy then if there was a way to make the sound bar respond to the TV remote for volume. That's exactly what this Denon and a few other sound bars can do. They will learn the volume up, down, and mute of the TV remote and respond to that. I do have to point out though that the TV needs to stay mute. The same infrared commands that control the sound bar will also change the TV speaker level unless the TV can somehow ignore them. Samsung does have this 'ignore' feature in some of its older sets. It's called 'Internal Mute'. It's an option in the TV sound menus. [Menu, then tab down to the speaker symbol, and once in that sub menu you might see Internal Mute. The selection is Off/On. The default setting is Off.] You can try this without any external audio system hooked up. Switching the Internal Mute to On simply turns the TV speakers off.

When it comes time for a new TV you will use the HDMI connector. There's a feature in HDMI which takes care of this TV-controls-the-sound-bar thing. It will even switch the sound bar on and off with the TV.

general comments
15 year old sonny 38"flat screen uses 100w[in the front room never used]
12 year old toshiba 38" uses 44w
new tcl 38" about 19w iff you use internet it uses around 10w more and on standby 0.5w can spend most off the time at 10w looking for things on the internet even iff you select to not connect to the internet

You're correct to be circumspect. Take nothing for granted. It is possible though to buy some sound bars that will cover both bases; optical that you need right now and HDMI ARC that you're very likely to need in the future. View attachment 308854

This is the rear connections of the Denon DHT-S416 at £249. It isn't the only sound bar with such a feature. I just happen to know that it has both sockets.

Something else to consider is how you'll control the sound. It might seem odd to bring this up, but I'll explain. If you're new to external audio systems then you might expect that the optical sound level will vary when the TV volume buttons are used. That would be a perfectly reasonable assumption. However, optical stays at a fixed level. It's the sound bar speaker itself which changes volume and not the optical signal level. This is why all sound bars come with a remote control.

You've been using your Samsung TV for 17 years, so you're used to picking up the TV remote to change the sound level. That's also probably what you did with the previous TV too. The habit is well ingrained. Changing what you do so you remember to pick up the sound bar remote would come to after a while, but there would be plenty of times when you'd end up putting the TV speakers on at the same time as the sound bar. That's not ideal. It would sound slightly strange.

It would be handy then if there was a way to make the sound bar respond to the TV remote for volume. That's exactly what this Denon and a few other sound bars can do. They will learn the volume up, down, and mute of the TV remote and respond to that. I do have to point out though that the TV needs to stay mute. The same infrared commands that control the sound bar will also change the TV speaker level unless the TV can somehow ignore them. Samsung does have this 'ignore' feature in some of its older sets. It's called 'Internal Mute'. It's an option in the TV sound menus. [Menu, then tab down to the speaker symbol, and once in that sub menu you might see Internal Mute. The selection is Off/On. The default setting is Off.] You can try this without any external audio system hooked up. Switching the Internal Mute to On simply turns the TV speakers off.

When it comes time for a new TV you will use the HDMI connector. There's a feature in HDMI which takes care of this TV-controls-the-sound-bar thing. It will even switch the sound bar on and off with the TV.
Hey, Lucid, that's a load of information to type out (and the picture, too), so thanks very much. I had no idea that the volume of a sound-bar would be independently controlled. Yes, I have found out about muting the TV's sound, on the old TV.

Here's a new development in this enquiry: A relative knew about my wondering what to do about the matter of the TV, and told me that she had one (stored away) that had only been used for a day or so. After she bought it (in 2021), she thought a bigger screen would have been better, so she put the smaller one away, just in case she might want another set at some time. It's an LG 28TL510S-PZ 28" Smart HD Ready LED TV. She offered to sell it to me, and I bought it, as it is exactly the size that would fit under our lounge window. The sound quality is not very good in my opinion, but I expected this to be the case, and am willing to buy a sound bar (or TV speaker, Mottie). However, though the situation has changed significantly, the initial problem remains — I am afraid of buying the wrong sound-bar for this new-to-me TV. The rear ports show an HDM! and an HDMI-arc. However, these two are bracketted together as being HDMI -in, so (correct me if I am mistaken) they cannot be connected to a sound-bar. There is also an optical cable port, which I am assuming is intended for a sound-bar connection. That's a pity, as I understand that optical is not as good sound as HDMI.

What I need to have confirmed, before looking for a sound-bar, is that the two HDMI ports, mentioned above, could not — not even at a pinch — be used with a sound-bar. The other thing I need to know is whether, when buying a sound-bar, it will be stated, as a matter of course, that it is suitable for optical connection, HDMI, or what not. I should imagine that it will, but would feel better if someone could reassure me about this. (For me, the idea of choosing a sound-bar is like the idea of going into a den of lions).

All the comments in this thread have been useful, and I thank everyone that responded.
L.L.

It's an LG 28TL510S-PZ 28" Smart HD Ready LED TV. She offered to sell it to me, and I bought it, as it is exactly the size that would fit under our lounge window. The sound quality is not very good in my opinion, but I expected this to be the case, and am willing to buy a sound bar (or TV speaker, Mottie). However, though the situation has changed significantly, the initial problem remains — I am afraid of buying the wrong sound-bar for this new-to-me TV. The rear ports show an HDM! and an HDMI-arc.

I have similar sets, and I am surprised you find the sound inadequate. Without being deliberately offensive, I wonder if it might be more to do with your failing sense of hearing?

I think that set supports bluetooth, might a pair of bluetooth headphones be more sensible for you, than a soundbar?

You're welcome L.L.

The information you have on HDMI is incomplete. When the socket is marked ARC on both devices then it provides a link from a TV to a sound bar for audio. That's exactly what you need.

Regarding sound bars, and most consumer electronics, there's generally a specifications list that details the features. Optical, normal HDMI, and HDMI ARC will be listed if they're featured. You can also check directly on a manufacturer's Web site if you're unsure whether a retailer has transcribed it correctly.

EDIT: fixed typo / spell check error - 'so kettle' to socket

Last edited:
Lucid, forgive me, but I don't understand the terms you are using. What is the "so kettle"?. I have given all the information that I could, taken off the rear of the set. Are you implying that it (the information moulded on the rear of the set) is misleading in some way? If you can, will you kindly state whether this set does support an HDMI connection after all, based on what I have reported? This is why I mentioned the HDMI ports, in case I wrongly thought that an "in" port could not also be used as an out port. I really need to know for sure.
L.L.

I have similar sets, and I am surprised you find the sound inadequate. Without being deliberately offensive, I wonder if it might be more to do with your failing sense of hearing?

I think that set supports bluetooth, might a pair of bluetooth headphones be more sensible for you, than a soundbar?
Well, Harry, I do not find the sound quality to be very good. However, sound is subjective, up to a point. Actually, even at 90 years of age, my hearing is pretty good (as people tell me). It's not that I could not hear the set, but that i thought the quality of the sound was not good. Hey, even the meaning of speech can be subjective — I don't know whether I am conveying what I mean, in those words. There is also my wife to consider. Her hearing is very poor, though she uses hearing aids. I want to do the best I can for her. Even though I am a bit of a tightwad, I think that it would be wise to buy a sound-bar.
L.L.

There is also my wife to consider. Her hearing is very poor, though she uses hearing aids.

There are even ways around that - a deaf aid loop around the room where the TV is located.

Actually, even at 90 years of age, my hearing is pretty good (as people tell me). It's not that I could not hear the set, but that i thought the quality of the sound was not good.

I have exceptional hearing, when it comes to hearing noise, but I have always had slight problems where it comes to picking out speech where there is lots of background noise. Modern TV programs seem to include lots of too loud background noise, bangs and crashes. You turn the volume up to hear the speech more clearly, then suddenly their are far too loud bangs and crashes, or the ads come on.

I must say I am surprised you don't find the LG audio adequate, my sets turned up are quite clear and deafeningly painful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back