Harcopak tank - Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a first floor flat, converted from a 1900 house. I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar bolier (approx 4 years old) in the kitchen and an airing cupboard in my hallway which houses a hot water cylinder with a Harcopak tank located on a frame above.

The Harcopak tank is divided into 2 sections, on the left is the larger header tank, on the right is the smaller central heating expansion tank.

I am getting a small leak of water from the very far right hand side of the Harcopak tank. As far as I can tell there are no pipes entering or exiting on the far right side, as the tank is right up against the inside wall of the airing tank. I can't trace the leak due to there being no access to the outside right of the tank.

On the floor in the airing cupboard is a Stuart Turner Universal Monsoon pump which supplies water to all taps, showers and toiles in the flat.

I have noticed that if I leave the flat for a few days and turn the Stuart Turner pump off and switch off the hot water on the water off from the timer control in the kitchen, the Harcopak tank leaks, but if I am in the flat using water as usual, with the Stuart Turner pump on, the tank does not leak. One other clue, the Stuart Turner pump does cycle every so often for a few seconds, totally randomly, not after any water has been used. I have checked for dripping taps and toilet/heating overflows and can find none.

Rather confused.....

I have been reading up about Harcopak tanks and am wondering if I would be better off getting all of this removed, along with the hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard and converting to a combi boiler. Appreciating this would be a costly and difficult job, especially as it almost looks like it will be very tight to get everything out of the airing cupboard as it is such a very tight fit!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Could be as simple as a ballcock issue, possibly combined with a loose overflow connection.

I have noticed that if I leave the flat for a few days and turn the Stuart Turner pump off and switch off the hot water on the water off from the timer control in the kitchen, the Harcopak tank leaks, but if I am in the flat using water as usual, with the Stuart Turner pump on, the tank does not leak. One other clue, the Stuart Turner pump does cycle every so often for a few seconds, totally randomly, not after any water has been used. I have checked for dripping taps and toilet/heating overflows and can find none.

Check the tank water levels, on your return, if they are too high check the float valves, and look at the overflow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back