Hard wax oil and silicon sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm about to do the corner joints and sink/hob cutouts on my new solid walnut worktops. They'll be hard wax oiled, that seems to be what is best these days.
Is it best to wax the jointed surfaces before siliconing them? Will that stop the silicon adhering properly? Similarly for the cutouts, if I wax the worktop first will I get a good seal or should I silicon the sink in before I wax?
Thanks in advance, Tony

Sponsored Links
Silicone won't stick to waxed surface.

If you are thinking about doing the edge joints, have you already sealed the underside of the top and the (out of sight) back edges already? All surfaces other than end to end joints (which are clamped together) need to be thoroughly sealed

The sink cut out needs to overhang the sink so as not to need silicon.The hob comes with its own seal so doesn’t require silicon.
You can use foil tape on underside and hob cut for extra protection .

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. I hadn't thought about sealing underside/back edge but that's a good idea. Sink is inset like hob, so I'll seal that with silicon
I'd best get on with sealing the back and underside then...

The sink cut out needs to overhang the sink so as not to need silicon.
It ideally also needs a drip groove to be routed on the underside of the worktop on sinks like Belfasts, about 5 to 10mm in from the edge. Because water can get trapped there I have always treated that out of sight area with wood hardener before installing tops and I'd probably use the same approach to protecting out of sight cut edges

On wood to wood joints, such as you get with an L-shaped worktop, I use loose Dominos nowadays to locate the top (before I had a Domi I used biscuits), but I glue the joining faces with a D3 PVA or non-foaming D4 glue (e.g Everbuild) and then pull the joint up tight with standard "dog bone" worktop joiners. There are invariably differences in level caused by cupping, etc, but they are easily dealt with using a sharp hand (jack) plane and a belt sander

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back