Hardcore for Patio Base - reclaimed from garden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I'm ripping apart my garden in an attempt to fix the last bits of the house while the sun's out and digging out some new flower bed's in my current lump of overgrown clay that is my garden.

Looking at laying a new patio, the guidelines suggestion is to lay some hardcore ( generally MOT1), but rather than buying new hardcore from a builder's merchant, i'm thinking of using the highly varied stone sizes i've sieved out while digging the beds for it ( currently 2 - 3 wheelbarrows loads).

I'm assuming that these are suitable for use instead as long as they are vibration packed down?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
yea throw them in but you could do with a bit of mot as well as the stone your using is fine to build up the depth of hardcore but the reason for using mot is that it contains all sizes right down to dust which helps it bind better and compact properly. Clean stone alone will not compact effectively.

Damn. Since i'm doing a 1m x 2m area i was hoping to avoid buying stuff apart from a bag of sand and the slabs themselves.

Thanks for the info!

you are building a 6' x 3' patio? Hope you dont have friends.!

Use MOT - some places call it crusher run, crushed stone, roadstone, etc. Just make sure you get a mix of sizes down to dust.

Sponsored Links
you are building a 6' x 3' patio? Hope you dont have friends.!

Use MOT - some places call it crusher run, crushed stone, roadstone, etc. Just make sure you get a mix of sizes down to dust.

I'm trying to make the best of my small garden! There is already a largish patio area by the house that current has a large rabbit hutch on that I want to reclaim for the human inhabitants, and as much as i would like to deck out the small area.(which is next to a current concreteted walkway i can either smash up or use) rabbit poop and decking just doesn't go.

Aye, wickes is my closest so i'll go get a few bags of "Granular Sub-Base" to fill it out.http://www.wickes.co.uk/Aggregate-Sand+Ballast/Granular-Sub-Base/invt/224664

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back