hardcore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am going to hardcore rear drive and gravel, but wondered if anyone has a method of working out how much hardcore i would need.
Lee

Sponsored Links
Do you mean how much in volume or how much in weight.

I find a tonne of MOT Type 1 is a little over 1 m³, maybe 1.1. or 1.2 m³

To find volume, take three dimensions and multply them together, length, breadth and depth.
e.g. 10m long by 2 m wide by 100mm deep = 2m³

Allow for compaction, perhaps 10%.

Hmmm, just realised, that weight to volume conversion is OK for sand and ballast, etc. Because I usually buy it by the tonne and store it in jumbo bags.
I've never bagged up a tonne of MOT Type1.

More info' here:
http://www.building-supplies-online...ed-limestone-granite-bulk-bag-855kg-133-p.asp

They suggest a tonne of MOT Type 1 is .7 m³. That seems a bit low to me. I would have thought it was lighter than sand or ballast, making it almost twice that, unless they're talking english tons, not metric tonnes, but that still seems low.

I think this might be one of the most confusing posts that I've done so far. :confused:

Thanks bit confused
It's 7m x 5m and would of thought need a good couple of inches in depth. So how many bags of the 1 tonne bags do i need

To find volume, take three dimensions and multply them together, length, breadth and depth.

Hmmm, just realised, that weight to volume conversion is OK for sand and ballast, etc. Because I usually buy it by the tonne and store it in jumbo bags.

More info' here:
http://www.building-supplies-online...ed-limestone-granite-bulk-bag-855kg-133-p.asp

They suggest a tonne of MOT Type 1 is .7 m³. That seems a bit low to me. I would have thought it was lighter than sand or ballast, making it almost twice that, unless they're talking english tons, not metric tonnes, but that still seems low.

I think this might be one of the most confusing posts that I've done so far. :confused:

Yet another redherring I am sad to report.

If you measured your jumbo bag with a tape measure you would not find it was not 1+m3 more like 0.6m3, maybe 0.7m3, best to determine the density of agregates yourself and record them for future reference.

FAO OP, metric tonnes and imp tonnes are so similar they can be regarded the same in this context

Sponsored Links
Thanks bit confused
It's 7m x 5m and would of thought need a good couple of inches in depth. So how many bags of the 1 tonne bags do i need

1 tonne "grab bags" are actually more like 850kg. So:-

3*850kg=2400kg
2.4T*0.8=1.9m³
7m*5m=35m²
35m²*0.05m=1.75m³

So get yourself 3 grab bags and you'll be able to stretch it to about 60mm deep I reckon ;) .

Hotrod do you mean the 1000kg bags are only filled to around 850kg?

Have you weighed a bag that was supposedly filled to 1 tonne?

I would guess 3 bags would produce 50mm depth. But will the OP come back and tell us how he got on?

More info' here:

Yet another redherring I am sad to report.

If you measured your jumbo bag with a tape measure you would not find it was not 1+m3 more like 0.6m3, maybe 0.7m3, best to determine the density of agregates yourself and record them for future reference.

FAO OP, metric tonnes and imp tonnes are so similar they can be regarded the same in this context

Yes, sorry about that. I really lived up to my nom de plume on that one.

When I read Wavetrain's post this morning I thought, noooo! That Jumbo bag has got to be about 1m³ , so first thing this morning I went out with camera to measure it with 1m rule leaning up it.
Well, bugger me! It's only 800mm X 800mm X 800mm.
I'll post the pic when I've got time.
View media item 31418That makes it little over .5m³.

No wonder I can never get 1 tonne in them. Usually all but a barrow load goes in. I mean full to overflowing.

The suppliers state that the Jumbo bags hold 850kg nominally.[/img]

Last time I measured a bag it seemed to be around 0.6m3, I will measure one when next at a merchants.

I have looked into the 850kg value, and it seem to be correct for Wickes bags so aggregates are even more costly than I thought.

If redherring2's belief had been correct and there had been 1m3 in a bag but it weighed less than 1 tonne then the content's density would be less than water, so sand, ballast etc would float :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ballast is perhaps 1500kg/m3 so 0.6m3 = 900kg.

When jumbo bags first arrived on the scene you paid a refundable deposit on the bag, how times have changed...

PS if you want to be remined how lightweight the lightweight grey blocks are, drop a dry one into a large bucket of water

One of the reasons why I buy my sand, ballast, etc by the tonne is 'cos it's quite a bit cheaper.
e.g a tonne of pea gravel, £25. Wickes' is probably nearer £40 for 850kg.

Plus I can reverse the trailer to where it's needed and it's a heck of a lot easier shovelling it off the trailer than out of the bag.

Even if I don't use it all at once, there's less than half the distance to barrow it.

I will have to look into whether aggs can be supplied loose onto the drive round my way anymore.

BTW how many tonnes does your trailer carry?

It's rated at 3.5 tonnes gross, so perhaps could carry 2.5 tonnes. I use it for 1.6 tonne digger also. Last time coming back from France I had the digger, tools, ladders, trestles, and the wine, etc.

I've carried 2 tonnes of quarry dust in France, but it's a bit of a pull even with a Disco, going up hills.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back