Hardening, Tempering and Heat Treatment

• Thread starter Bodgeit and scarper ltd
  • Start date
B

Bodgeit and scarper ltd

I have been trying to find information on the Internet without any luck on Hardening, Tempering and Heat Treatment, can anyone point me in the right direction. I need to make some very small leaf springs

Sponsored Links
To successfully harden and temper small leaf springs, I would proceed as follows:-

Ideally you will need a hole in your leaf springs, to enable you to suspend them with some fine wire.
To support them as shown in the link will result in the ends being harder to get the same colour as the centre.

Suspend your leaf spring above an oil bath, not water, water gives too severe a quench.
Heat the spring, using a small nozzle on your Oxy-Acetylene set, until Cherry Red. Be careful, its easy to destroy the edges of thin spring steel with to fierce a flame.
Immediately douse the spring in the oil bath, and leave until cold.
Now clean your spring with wire wool, or fine emery paper until it is bright.
Next heat the spring, until you get a uniform straw colour.
Now bury the spring in DRY sand until cold.

Clean again if required.

Sponsored Links
Trazor,
why straw colour then the slow cool ?
as opposed blue then oil quench.

Thanks Symptoms I think I can make them now, I have found some thin spring steel for the two smallest springs, the third spring needs to be thicker at the ends I am thinking a bit off the end of a car leaf spring may do this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back