Tips needed for drilling through hardened steel?

The problem is solved in a different way.

I did try to drill through it. Using a hard-metal center point did indeed give a good dimple / pit to start drilling. However, the drilling was no succes, the material was simply too hard. In the end I tried to remove the wall bracket by means of a heavy duty crowbar, and I managed to slowly 'pull' the plugs out of the wall. This was always my plan B, although I never thought it would work. In fact I was surprised to learn how succesful this approach was. I had expected that long plugs in a concrete wall would have enormous friction and would be impossible to pull out.

Thanks everyone again for thinking with me.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hardened steel can easily be drilled using a stellite drill.

But you must be able to remove this plate from the wall, and drill it vertically in a pillar drill, lots of pressure no coolant, watch out for red hot chippings..... :eek:

Hmm disagree. I bought some stellite drills at a car boot sale. Make is Deloro and they are like a three sided pyramid. I have been trying to drill a hole in the end of a Snail Brand two and a quarter AF spanner. (handy for packing glands on stern tubes) Obviously for marine work it is nice for spanners to have a hole to take a lanyard but mine doesn't have one. Maybe the drill press needs a bigger motor as so far the results are pathetic but in all fairness the spanner is probably chrome-vanadium. I've spent well over an hour on the job but the hole is barely halfway through, possibly less and the edge soon gets taken off the stellite. Rather surprisingly a cheap and cheerful bench grinder resharpens the stellite effortlessly - doesn't even need a green grit wheel. How much power do these bits need? Are they outdated and obsolete? At this rate I'll have to try a Rotabroach.

I think I heard that you can drill into safe locks using a masonry drill

the tip will be hard enough, but I presume the angle is not ideal

fancy giving it a try?

Just seen this and it tickeled me.

A TCT drill would do this in seconds. Or a colbalt tipped one, but slower.
A masonary drill with the angles reground would too.

Only spent over 25 years in the security industry as a Losksmith, Electronic Systems engineer.

Dewalt "EXTREME" drill. These have a starter point then work like a milling cutter for the main hole.

RHC - Rockwell Hardness C

HSS Drill Bits - Work well up to the 50ish RHC
Drill - Mild steel, Some tool steel, Some Spring Steel
No Drill - Hard Plate, Anti Drill Plate, 404c Stainless Steel
Pro - Good in Hand Drills and most drilling applications
Con - Has limitations in hardened steels

Cobalt - Works up to 58ish RHC
Drill - Mild Steel, Some Spring Steel, Some Tool Steel
No Drill - Hard Plate, Anti Drill Plate, 440C Stainless Steel
Pro - Good for hand drills and most drilling applications
Con - Has limits with hardened steel

Carbide Tipped - Will drill almost any steel, Hard, Stainless or Mild.
Pro - Drills all steel
Con- Blunt tip requires extreme pressure to produce cuttings. Drill bit is hard to start on all steels.

Diamond Coated Drill Bit - Cuts on most steels(Not Hard Plate) just not for long.
Pro - Will Drill most steels (Not Hard Plate)
Con - Cutting stops quickly after diamond grit has warn off, Then behaves like HSS bit

Solid Carbide Drill Bit - Cuts all steels.
Pro - Sharpened points wont "walk" like carbide tipped bit. Cuts all steel
Con - Sharp tip and fine edges can chip easily and ruin drill bit. Not for hand drills. Expensive!

For more information ***Removed***

Dewalt "Extreme" drills may work. These have a small drill point and a milling type cutter to follow and are recommended for hand held use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back