How to drill through metal???

A drill has a 3 jaw chuck, which is used to hold different size drill bits and can be adjusted to accommodate different size diameter drill bits, from about 1mm to usually 12.5mm, so if you can fit a small length shaft to your fan, you could mount or tighten the shaft in the drill chuck, that should hold it tight and secure. You could improvise a wood or plastic case around the drill to hide the drill itself, and mount drill inside this box, and have the drill switch wired to an an external switch, and you may also provide battery charging facility in situ, i.e. you don't want to remove the drill out of the box each time you need charging its battery.

But look its your project, I don't want to spoil your own idea, so do as you feel best, I can only offer an alternative suggestion to you using mains for running your motor which can be dangerous, but remember one can achieve many things in many different ways, there isn't just one perfect way as most people have you believe.

I am a bit confused the purpose of this ceramic rod, and the wooden rod, are these going to stir water directly as you spin the fan shaft, or are you going to create a water tornado indirectly by air blowing over water surface? or are you going to submerge the fan inside the water?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank you for the suggestion Mike! It's always good to have other peoples suggestion and advice. Yes you're right there are more than one way to achieve things. I like your idea, I never thought of it that way; I might try that method as well to try and have fun experimenting :)

The piece of ceramic that's attached horizontally to the wooden rod (creating a shape like this:) is the only thing that's going to be in contact with water (My apologies I didn't mention this before). The motor/fan will be centrally above the water container resting on a small wooden table/stand. I'll try to cover the motor with something so when the motor is spun, no water can splash onto it.

So what I'll do is use the fan blade sleeving (half fitted on the motor shaft and the other half on the wooden rod) and place a wire through the hole of both the wooden rod and the fan blade coupling to secure the wooden rod from slipping out the fan sleeving. I needed something to secure the coupling from the motor shaft so that's why I'm going to be drilling another small perpendicular hole so that I can thread the wire through the fan blade housing and the motor shaft in order to bind them together.

Last edited:
Go for it mate, you know what you are doing, I saw your other thread as well regarding locking washers etc. You have plenty ideas. Sounds quite interesting project from the looks of it, are you doing research into it or a demo or is it a project for part of your studies?

PS. I have a small coffee "latte maker", is a small handheld contraption with a small 3v dc motor and uses 2 x AA batteries , has a small wire wheel on a thin long shaft, when switched on the wire wheel spins real fast and is used for making froth to simulate cappuccino coffee, I use it and works brilliant, it turns instant coffee into cappuccino, but it is a bit tricky as you first have to add small amount of milk and a spoon of coffee granules the stir with this contraption and it gets foamy/frothy, add boiling water and off you go for a nice cup of cappuccino home made style.

This device can create water tornados as well, hence why I went into describing all that.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks Mike! Well it is a project that's part of my studies but this device was made by someone else and he is the one who instructed me on how to make it but since we both have different motor/fan I couldn't copy exactly what he did so I needed to figure out somethings myself. I also wanted different ideas and advice as well to experiment with so I'm glad I signed up for a forum like this!

Yes I have seen that "latte maker" a friend of mine had it, it instantly frothed her coffee; it's a very handy tool :) though I don't drink coffee perhaps I can get it to use for creating a small water tornado haha :D

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back