Very disappointed with my "Industrial Cobalt" DeWalt drill purchase

As possibly a final comment, I've just left a review on Screwfix, and I've just noticed a very similar review made 4 years ago concerning stainless steel. The reviewer rates performance as poor as I have done. Given the RPM tables I have taken speed I used (2600 RPM) as not the issue causing poor performance in light of the drill diameter (2.5mm). And I've discounted the non use of cooling fluid.

The second link that I posted (bench pillar advice for schools) says that cooling fluid isn't required so such small holes in thin stainless. It does however recommend a centre punch.

Sponsored Links
Then again, this: "Stainless steel isn’t the hardest metal around, but it is challenging to work with. The biggest issue is the risk of work hardening. If the cutting speed of the drill is too high and the feed is too slow, the heat generated can harden the material – making cutting more difficult." (R.D.Barrett). Which has already been brought to light I know. Still, I'm still of the opnion that these DeWalt drills are poor with stainless steel. But, maybe other makes are too.

Last edited:
Having done lot of stainless worktops we found a center punch, pilot hole and then the hole size drill worked fine, drills can be sharpened using an angle grinder

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back