Hardiebacker fireplace lining & plastic plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Suspect I'm overthinking this but here goes..

I've opened up our fireplace and lined it with 12mm Hardiebacker in preparation for a wood burning stove. The Hardibacker is going to be skimmed with Vitcas heat resistant plaster.

I thought the brick walls were pretty even so started fixing the boards with screws & plastic plugs, before realising that they weren't that even after all and finishing the job with dot & dab.

In hindsight, I'm wondering whether plastic plugs was a bad idea.. but I'm guessing they would be unlikely to melt buried in brick behind Hardibacker?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There are now metal 2 hour rated masonry plugs from firms like Ellipse and Rawlplug which are designed for use where plastic or fibre plugs would not meet the fire rating requirements, but I don't know if that applies in your case. I recently had to install some metal wiring trays for CCTV and data cabling inside a void where this was a requirement. The plugs we had were Ellipse stainless steel ones and relatively pricey (came from an electrical wholesaler). First time I've ever used them, but they have been around a few years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back