Hardwall over brick wall / blockwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My block walls are 100mm wide. Door linings are sold at 138mm or 115mm. I have built a smaller house where the door linings are 138mm, meaning 19mm of hardwall+multifinish on each side of the wall ( ie 17mm hardwall + 2mm multifinish).

However, a new plasterer I have employed, wants to apply just 11mm-12mm hardwall. Which means I have to make custom door linings.

To be fair the 25kg hardwall bag does indicate "11mm" on bricks/blocks.

What is the right way to do this?

Sponsored Links
Doesn’t crop up so much nowadays due to the prevalence of d&d, but either get him to dub the hardwall out a bit so it ends up flush with the lining, which would be easier for him as he can rule it off the lining like you would a bead then cut back to allow room for skim. Or just rip a few mm off the linings. Or, a bit of caulk behind the architrave once fitted.

My block walls are 100mm wide. Door linings are sold at 138mm or 115mm. I have built a smaller house where the door linings are 138mm, meaning 19mm of hardwall+multifinish on each side of the wall ( ie 17mm hardwall + 2mm multifinish).

However, a new plasterer I have employed, wants to apply just 11mm-12mm hardwall. Which means I have to make custom door linings.

To be fair the 25kg hardwall bag does indicate "11mm" on bricks/blocks.

What is the right way to do this?
To be fair the manufacturers state maximum thickness per coat as 11mm - 12mm for base coat plaster such as hardball or bonding.

A difference of 5mm or so wont make much difference If i turned up on your job I would float it into the door frame I wouldent be giving it a second thought, i have have be been on jobs where I've seen hardwall go on a lot thicker than that

Sponsored Links
Thank you guys. It seems the ready made door linings say "finished size 132mm"! So why advertise as "138mm" when it is not? Anyway, 132mm is 16mm per side, implying maybe 12mm hardwall and 4mm multifinish. So we are good.

I would be worrying about your spread tbh any experienced spread would have just cracked on with it instead of worrying about a couple of mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back