Finishing a wall, ready for repainting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just finished getting my plasterer to infill a doorway into my living room with blocks and then had it rendered. Previously I had studwork and boards in the infill but there was some cracking so decided to infill with blocks and replaster.

However the living room has lining paper (which seems to be in good condition) on all the walls and is painted. My plasterer has removed some of the lining paper around the door infill when he removed the old plasterboard, which means there is an area between the old lining paper and my new rendered wall with no lining paper (approximately 200mm wide on either side of the infill).

My plasterer recommends putting a thin layer of polyfiller to remove the difference in thickness before I try repainting the wall

Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
you could try easyfill to even out the thickness before painting, it sands down easy and you get a better finish that polyfiller the only other option i can see is to take the rest of the paper off and skim the rest of the wall blending it into the new one but ive i feeling that the easyfill will do the trick for you

I would have advised removed all the lining paper, bricked up & render based the opening, taped the join & then re-skimmed the entire wall otherwise you’re still likely to get cracks where the two meet. Applying filler to make up the difference between the two will give even more problems for someone in the future if they decide to remove the lining paper; I hate the stuff!

Thanks for the replies, all good info, just a further update/query.

I have attached a picture of the wall in question which may help. I think the plasterer was saying that the polyfill was required to paint the wall where the lining paper was removed as the existing wall is either a concrete wall with a very smooth finish or a rendered wall which then had the lining paper put on.

Will the suggestion of using Easyfill still work. As much as I would like to reskim the wall my budget won't allow me at this moment in time

Also is the Polycell Smoothover not as good as the Easyfill?

cheers[/img]

Sponsored Links
Can’t really tell much from the photo, are you saying that lining paper has been stuck directly to the brick wall or render :eek: apart from the bit you’ve just had done, is there no finishing plaster on the wall at all? You can’t just “paint” block work or render with filler it will look absolutely terrible, as will trying to blend the new plaster in with the lining paper, did your plasterer not advise what was necessary to do it properly?

Polycell Smoothover is a DIY product which usually ends up looking a totally botched job; no serious tradesman would touch it with a barge pole! Easyfill is a professional product which is intended for use on dry lined walls where the joints are being taped & filled rather than plastered but it is also an excellent easy sand filler.

Personally I would be inclined to leave it until you can afford to strip the lining paper back & get it properly re-plastered, slapping a load of filler on the transition will create even more problems when it comes to re-plastering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back