Holes in plaster caused by paper stripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to DIYnot.

I'm looking to repaint a bedroom which was last painted ~10 years ago, at which point paint was applied on top of existing lining paper. The paper has begun to come away in places, and I have wanted to remove it before repainting. I was using a steam stripper, and unfortunately large chunks of plaster came off along with the paper, leaving gaps in the wall. I've stopped removing the paper to seek advice, it seems to be a thin layer of plaster on concrete, what would be best for repairing these holes and removing the paper without making more!

Photo of an example attached! Thanks.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
it has burst off because you have overheated the plaster. You have to keep a steamer moving so the paper gets damp but not hot. A garden sprayer is safer.

You will have to practice your plaster patching. Use Easifill or Plasterboard Joint Filler. It is easiest if you have a trowel or knife that is big enough to span across the hole so you can press on the sound plaster at each side. Do not leave a mound, you will only have to scrape it off later (a broad metal scraper is faster, cleaner and leaves a flatter surface than trying to sand it). Mix up less than half what you think you need. You can do a second coat once it has stiffened. Once stiff, you can splash it with water and polish it smooth with a plasterers trowel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back