skimming over backing paper

VSR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have removed woodchip paper from a lath&plaster ceiling with the intention of skimming over it. Now it appears that there is another layer of thin paper over the lath&plaster, which is very adherent and difficult to get off. I guess it is some form of backing paper. Could we apply a coat of PVC glue over this backing paper and proceed to skim over it?

Could artex go on top of backing paper? What options are available for us who do not like papers (paintable or not) very much?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The moisture in the plaster mix may loosen the paste holding on the paper and the whole thing may drop off,May be do a test area but remember the plaster will only be bonded to the paper not the wall

Not sure if artex is similar to plaster skim in this regards, but when i've had stubborn paper to remove, i've actually skimmed some plaster to it and the moisture makes it peels of a little later. Then i put the proper stuff on.

I take it you've tried a steamer?

The pro's will be along to offer proper adivce mind, so wait for them.

You cannot skim over paper, it must be removed; even little bits of it left stuck to the surface can cause new plaster to blister as the paper expands with moisture. I assume you mean PVA & not PVC glue; it’s role in plastering is to control suction so the plaster doesn’t go off too quickly & act as a bonding agent when re-skimming over old surfaces to ensure the new plaster sticks properly; it’s water soluable & won’t help in your case.

Sponsored Links
Could just overboard the whole ceiling - would make it easier to plaster and if the paper is that well adhered to it, quicker too. Plus less likely to crack, as is wont with old ceilings.

A plasterer could have it boarded in the morning and skimmed in the afternoon, if it's not too huge a room.

thank you all very much indeed for very helpful advice.

the area is about 65 sq m, divided into two aproximately equal areas on either side of an arch. plasterboarding would have been a good idea if not for the original plaster coving which is quite wide.

since i understand now that skimming over the backing paper would be a bad idea, i may just have to make do with paintable paper. what kind would resemble a plain skimmed surface closely?

since i understand now that skimming over the backing paper would be a bad idea, i may just have to make do with paintable paper. what kind would resemble a plain skimmed surface closely?
Personally I hate lining paper, it’s a “bodgers” delight but no lining paper is ever going to resemble even a half decent skimmed ceiling & any imperfections will still show through. Have you tried persevering with removing the offending paper, there isn’t much that won’t eventually succumb to a decent steamer.

doesn't that polyfilla easy fill painty type stuff do the job?
Not cheap though.

doesn't that polyfilla easy fill painty type stuff do the job?
Not cheap though.
Please don’t swear on the plastering forum :LOL: . It’s absolutely dreadful stuff & IMO has no practical use for anything other than bodging; I doubt if you can tosh that stuff over paper either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back