Plasterboarding over Artex ceiling - Edges ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Am looking to plasterboard over an existng but very sound artexed plasterboard ceiling; a 900mm wide right angled hall way, and have found most of the answers to the usual diyers questions from other posts.
Thankfully the existing battens are ideally spaced for both angles.

The walls are painted paper which we want to keep, and we also intend to paper over the new plasterboard rather than skimming ( will seal the new plasterboard before papering)

However one little area eludes me, its where the cut square edges of the new board meet the walls. What is the best way to fill that gap , just plaster or something like jointing compound or flexible acrylic sealer etc ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Use a filler that goes solid after an hour or so.
Here's what I would do. Mix up a small amount of the filler, not too wet..Get a 1" paint brush and "lightly dampen" the gap as you go, and using a scraper, push the filler into the gap. Continue doing this all around the ceiling line, keeping the wallpaper clean. Once you have "neatly" filled the gap, let the filler set solid, then put some fibre mesh tape along the ceiling line, just butted up against the wall. Go all around the ceiling line with the tape, then go over the tape with a coat of readymix finish compound, to cover it over. That tape will stop the filler from breaking away from the gap. Once the tape is covered and dried out, sand it down with a fine sandpaper, seal it, then you're ready to paper. Everyone has their own way, this is mine and it works no problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back