Inserting lintel for internal blockwork in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have one inch to spare when i put my car in the garage .
Impossible too bring the door forward so i am thinking of taking out a portion of the rear wall which is constructed of blockwork .... there is a cavity and then an outer brick wall.

Is it possible to only remove the blockwork which would give me approx 100mm plus some cavity space.....
100mm would be sufficient. The blockwork supports the wooden roof supports.

Could i use STRONGBOY/ steel props to support the inner blockwork whilst i insert a lintel ?
If so what sort of lintel ?
The cut out would be about 2 metres wide and approx 1 metre high .
If my suggestion above is ok then how many Strongboys required ?

I dont wish to alter any of the outer wall.. just the inner block wall.

If the above is a no no then your professional advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
N.A.

Sponsored Links
Your proposal is fine. The lower down you make your 'window' the better.

2m is not massive but still a good span, so i can't say for sure whether a 100mm x 75mm concrete lintel will be adequate. With you having a large amount of blockwork above my feelings are it will be ok.

The opening would obviously be down to ground level.
You say the amount of blockwork above would only require a concrete lintel....
Does that mean the blockwork load above is spread sideways as well as downwards on the lintel ?

I was thinking of a metal catnip lintel that would match the width of the blockwork 100mm...... Am I wrong in this assumption ?

Are Strongboys ok to us use with this blockwork and not just designed for ordinary bricks ?

Cheers
N.A.

A Catnic 100mm standard duty box lintel will be more than man enough.

Concrete lintels rely upon a degree of 'self arching' gained from a body of masonry above, so i was wondering whether, in your situation, this may be a cheaper option.

Strongboys and acros will be fine unless you have some unusual loading above....?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back