small lintel in block wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

I'd like to put in a lintel either 1.2M or 1.5M (maximimum) into a single inner skin of blockwork covering the fireplace and making up the wall. I'm thinking that since its only a small opening, that a concrete lintel 65mm high would be ok?

I've got two props and strongboys but I'm trying to understand once the course of blocks is propped up, should I remove the entire row of blocks below and installed the lintel should I then perhaps infill with bricks above? Or should I try to carve the block to about the height of the lintel with the props in place? (And could I do this ok with an ads chisel hammer or must I use a large grinder which I'm afraid would make a real mess of dust?).

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Sponsored Links
I should have said the blocks are 100mm deep and 210mm high. Also the triangle of blocks above won't reach the ceiling so I don't think the lintel needs to be that strong?

Having read virtually every thread on this forum that has the word "lintel" in it (!!), I'm now thinking of either using a 65mm concrete lintel from Wickes and using a 9inch grinder to carve a 65mm gap (whilst its proppoed up from above).

OR, using getting a catnic 100mm "standard duty" box shaped one which is 143mm tall. That would leave about the height of a single brick so if I'm going down that route maybe I should fit the lintel in the gap left by the blocks and then lay one course of bricks to fill the gap?

The catnic option seems to have the advantage that I could lift it without getting help.

Many thanks for your reply but I still don't know how to fill the gap given the blocks are 21cm tall and the concrete lintel is only 6.5?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back