Hardwearing vinyl paint scratching off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Having an issue with some paint and hoping for some advice…
We had fresh walls (plasterboard and skimmed) which were mist coated before having 2 layers of johnstones acrylic durable matt done in colour.
Unfortunately the colour is coming off with the slightest scratch (see pics - that is from a fingernail with minimal pressure).
What can I do to fix it?! it’s only the colours that are doing this - we have the same paint in white in other walls that are rock hard.
I have 2 small kiddos so the paint needs to wear well - this will get trashed in days so I need to sort it out!
Any advice eagerly sought… thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
I wonder if you were to paint over this if the coloured paint would bubble up or peel off in big chunks.

Definitely worth giving Johnstones a call.

What did you use to mist coat walls? Its not advised to use contract paint as its not a solid base for a durable emulsion

Read the application data sheet for the paint on advise to prime walls

I would be interested if you contact Johnstones.

I have some of their white gloss (waterbased) which is touch dry very quickly on some MDF cabinets.

Almost a week since painting I clamped the boards with some aluminium L shaped brackets to glue them
and when releasing the brackets they were sticking to the paint, no paint actually lifted but its still soft.
(100% the paint and not the glue in the corner, sitting one board on top of the other even for a short while
and you get that sticky peeling sound like plastic film off a glass screen)

I know the temperature in the house is only 19ºC to 20ºC but I thought 6 days would be enough for the
paint to be firm enough to handle. Largest board painted is 1.5m x 200mm (18mm). Inside faces were
painted 8 days ago.

Please let us know your outcome, Thanks.

Sponsored Links
So I’ve been back to Johnstones and they have replaced the paint with their cleanable Matt… the guy in the shop spoke to the technical department and said that a light sand and at least one coat of the new paint should do the job.
No explanation for why it’s happening - the decorator might have f-ed up in using contract Matt as the mist coat despite the durable Matt saying on the tin that mist coat should be the same paint but this issue isn’t happening on the white walls which is the same paint as the green/yellow walls. So still a bit of a mystery really!

Hi @Lilz_k , did sanding and then applying the new cleanable matt solve the issue? I'm experiencing the same issue with the same durable paint so wondering what to do next.

Unfortunately not ‍♀️
I ended up doing some samples on a patch of bare plaster vs mist coat and the hardest wearing/only option not to scratch was mist coasting with the same paint - even zinser primer over the mist coat didn’t hold up…
Our paint is literally scraping off like wallpaper.

Spent a sloooooow couple of days over Christmas scrubbing the mist coat off the walls in a room we hadn’t painted yet and started from scratch. Mist coated in johnstones cleanable Matt (80:20) and 2 top coats has given a lovely sturdy finish.

Unfortunately this means we’re gonna have to scrape the paint off the entire massive room we’d already finished, scrub off the mist coat and start again…. But that’s an issue for future me!

Oh and we’re getting a refund from the decorator…

Durable paint takes longer to dry, so you need to let paint dry overnight before you second coat.
Appling durable paints over contract emulsion causes adhesion problems.
Applying second coat too soon or back rolling, which is getting a second coat on 5 mins after first coat can cause paint to bubble. The second coat of emulsion livens up the first coat which sort skins over a bit then bubbles.
The answer is follow the application data sheet

Hi @Lilz_k - thanks for replying so quickly. The cold weather at the moment definitely hasn't helped the paint cure either!! The technical dept (not Johnstone's, but where I bought the paint) said to wait a few weeks. If that hasn't helped the only option for me would be to sand it all off, prime with a mist coat of the acrylic matt and then follow with the final coats. It's a shame, but it's probably not worth the hassle of living with it. Lesson learnt for next time :LOL: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back