Hardwood Floor over concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am about to buy 120mm wide 18mm deep oak strips and intend to put in them in two lounges

The one lounge is has floor board - So I intend to put a thin waterproof foam layer and then porta nail them down (leaving a 15mm gap around the edges)

Question - Does this sound ok ?

The second lounge has floorboards on the one half and a concrete floor on the other. Currently it has a thin laminate floating floor covering both.
My approach again was to use the waterproof foam layer, followed by the pora nail solution but im guessing the porta nail wont work in concrete ?

So questions
1) How do I do the concrete side ? Porta Nail or Glue or float ?-- I really would appreciate some help here
2) When laying the waterproof strip, only 2m wide, how do I join it ? Waterproof tape ?

I would really appreciate any help on my three questions

Manty thanks

Sponsored Links
When you have two types of underfloor in one room you have to create one type of underfloor in the room.
The simplest solution here is to lay 3 - 6mm hardboard sheets (diagonal) over floorboards and concrete, then foam insulation and float the new floor (glueing the T&G's properly)

Hi there

Thanks for the reply !

Im really not keen on floating the floor, but understand your tip about making 1 consistant base ..

How does one attach the hardboard to the cement ? Screws ? Do I predril holes ? Do I need plugs ?

If I dont want to go for floating - Would it be ok, to put the hardboard down (creating a common base) the porta nailing the bit that can be, and then glueing the rest in place ?

Thanks !

You can glue the hardboard down on the concrete and nail them on the floorboards. Not very happy with screws in concrete or floors for that matter.
After that I would suggest you glue down the wood floor to the subfloor, the porta-nailer would cause damage to your concrete floor

Sponsored Links
Given all the glue etc ... could I just glue it straight down on the concrete ?

I see you are from the UK, and would love to chat to you (happy to pay for your time

could you please drop me a mail at [email protected], if you dont mind a call

Thanks

Ky

Given all the glue etc ... could I just glue it straight down on the concrete ?
You could, but only if the concrete is a decent quality and level
(And thanks for the chat this morning - hope it's been some help to you)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back