Hardwood or softwood for Edwardian porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to reinstate the original Edwardian porch for our house, quite similar to this photo. I’ve got a quote for the posts in hardwood which is expensive. I’ve been advised that the wood will be most at risk from water splashing up from the base of the porch onto the bottom of the posts where the skirting will be surrounding them. So thinking about getting the skirting in hardwood and the posts in softwood. Any thoughts ?
Thanks for your advice

Attachments

• D7459438-CEB8-4088-92CB-1D4A45705FD0.png
    D7459438-CEB8-4088-92CB-1D4A45705FD0.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
The plinths are most at risk. Making them up with skirting will be unsatisfactory. Perhaps you could cast concrete plinths.

When you say plinth do you mean around the base of the posts? Concrete won’t look great around the posts though?

BTW this is my neighbours porch which we are copying.
I’m not sure if the photo shows it but the porch is raised off the ground so won’t be in standing water

The timber is not at risk is its adequately protected/painted and then regularly maintained. Softwood could be treated first.

Even softwood higher up is at risk - mainly the end grain at every joint.

Sponsored Links
Yep get you. Was trying to to stick with the original porch design but your idea does make sense.

£800 for posts and skirting in hardwood….

When I last went out for quotes on an arch window in wood lots of the joinery forms quoted for softwood offering a 30 year guarantee. Can't remember what the wood was, but there was a preservative maintenance routine; don't necessarily have to shy away from softwood - just look after it

Trying to reinstate the original Edwardian porch for our house, quite similar to this photo. I’ve got a quote for the posts in hardwood which is expensive. I’ve been advised that the wood will be most at risk from water splashing up from the base of the porch onto the bottom of the posts where the skirting will be surrounding them. So thinking about getting the skirting in hardwood and the posts in softwood. Any thoughts ?
Thanks for your advice
Lots of water trap areas in that design.

hardwood or softwood, the paintwork wouldn’t look great for long.

vertical timbers don’t rot as water runs off, it’s where the water gets trapped that causes the rot.

I would fit softwood posts, but sit them on a stainless steel saddle so they are set off the floor, then cloak the bottom with the skirting block.

to increase length of time paint lasts, put 3mm round on everything and avoid traps wherever possible.

I made some large driveway gates a few years ago, from softwood, as hardwood was a fair bit more expensive (pre covid).

The gates on the inside get most of the sunshine, needless to say, I wish I'd made them out of hardwood. As they look a state now, contraction/expansion cracking etc. They look great on the front. I regularly paint them too.

Local timber merchant uses acoya for all it's windows and doors that they make and having seen their offerings, this is what I I would like to buy when I remake them.

Good luck (y)

Personally I would be leaning towards "Accoya" it's a man made timber with very good insect and rot resistance.

We don’t get loads of sun on the front but hear what you saying on the cracking of the wood. The £800 is for accoya..

Accoya is extremely durable. But, one of the biggest advantages is it doesn't expand and contract anywhere near as much as other woods with changes in temperature and humidity. This movement in most woods stresses paint finishes which is why they quickly fail. If you use a high performance paint on accoya you will get very long life. Companies like Teknos offer 12 year warranty https://www.teknos.com/en-GB/indust...ing-systems/accoya-tricoya-exterior-coatings/ (although you won't get that using it DIY)

Agreed about its longevity, just so expensive sob sob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back