Has anybody seen this before?

rjb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed that their is a small quantity of black plastic / oily tar like substance dripping down from the service head. It leaks down and looks like black treacle off a spoon if you let it run. It leaks about 1/2 teaspoonful about every three months.

I am guessing that the service head is not big enough and is a sort of over current maybe :?: :?: :?:

I have taken a photo, but being in my mid-thirties technology has left me behind. If you want to see a shot can somebody (in idiot terminology) tell me how I can upload it.

Now if this is a bad idea. Who gets it sorted. Who do I advise. Who pays for it. My electricity company is NPOWER. (if you saw my earlier question more like NO POWER!)[/img][/code]

Sponsored Links
just contact the company shown on your electricity bill

it's their job to know which company deals with it, not yours

phone them tonight

the head belongs to the supplier (loosely speaking) and they are responsible for maintaining or replacing it at your expense.

dripping from the meter is worse.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=99672

If you are lucky they will provide you with a new earth terminal at the same time.

ServiceHead.jpg

Hopefully this has uploaded the image!!

it's tar or pitch they used to pour into those iron things after making the initial connection.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was 80 years old, so about due for replacement.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John D for the advise.

I have spoken to Central Networks and the nice lady asked if it is hot or smells fishy (I assume she was taking about the service head :eek: ) Anyway nothing is hot or smelly so it will be replaced as a routine in 4 weeks time and with no charge as it's their equipment.

Hoorah for that!

It might be hot after you have been drawing a lot of power, e.g. electric shower or cooker.

Blimey, not out of the woods then. :cry:

I will make a note to check it first thing in the morning.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back