Has anyone ever designed and built their own shed ??

DforDave, I think the British Plastics Federation is unlikely to give an unbiased and dispassionate view. Do you?

What is one long persistence and highly toxic combustion product when PVC and wood burn together? (I am looking for a specific one that caused a little upset in Seveso some years ago).

Sponsored Links
if you can't see what is wrong with using brown PVCu cladding for a garden shed then you are clearly not a 'shed' person.

oilman said:
DforDave, I think the British Plastics Federation is unlikely to give an unbiased and dispassionate view. Do you?

You are probably right. I am not trying justify or recommend use of PVCu. I see a lot of it being used for cladding, fascias, soffits, windows, doors etc but have never seen a shed clad with it, and I wondered if there is a practical reason (although I didn't use that phrase in my question!).

I am not intending to build one - I already have a perfectly good wooden shed and a brick-built workshop.

Your answer made a strong point of saying why PVCu should not be used for anything, and quoted someone else to back up your views. My response was simply making the point that there are different opinions out there.

oilman said:
What is one long persistence and highly toxic combustion product when PVC and wood burn together? (I am looking for a specific one that caused a little upset in Seveso some years ago).

I don't know. I can only think of something that happened at what I thought was a factory making pesticides or something. You have made me curious though - I will Google it to learn more.

Dave

You're correct, the Seveso incident was to do with pesticide 2-4-5-T. The PVC/lignin combustion product I was thinking of is the same as the combustion product at Seveso, - dioxin. (There's others).

Despite claims by the plastics industry, it seems PVC is nigh on impossible to recycle. When we have a material as useful and versatile as wood it just seems a pity to use PVC.

Sponsored Links
oilman said:
When we have a material as useful and versatile as wood it just seems a pity to use PVC.

OK. Another question then. (Not trying to provoke an argument - I am asking because I don't know).

Are we running out of trees? Or do we replant in sufficient quantities to sustain the supply for future generations?

Oops - that could be two questions!

I think trees are good things to have around us.

The softwood that is generally used in framing and cladding comes from sustainable sources in Northern Europe. European and North American hardwoods (oak, ash, maple, beech etc) are also harvested from sustainable plantations although they are much slower-growing. Tropical hardwoods such as mahogany, ebony, rosewood are supposed to come from sources where logging is controlled but a lot of it is illegally felled and government controls are weak.

Many people (myself included) will no longer use tropical hardwoods or veneers because of the effect it is having on the amazonian ecosystem. These trees can take hundreds of years to grow and are being illegally thinned out at an alarming rate.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/brazil/story/0,,1597399,00.html

Since WW2 there have been grants for removing trees and woodlands so more food could be produced. There are grants for planting trees. It's a pity that a lot of the grants are encouraging pointless planting in woodlands, when traditional coppicing would allow wood production for fuel at a maximum rate anyway. There is the statement that young trees use up seven times the CO2 that old trees use. A daft statement really, as quite a lot of the big tree will be burnt as waste, so should that be added to the small tree to be a bit more realistic.

South of the Thames, the figures for 10 years ago were that the volume of wood was increasing at the rate of 10^6 cu. mtr per year. The problem is finding a market for the timber. If people would think wood more, then there would be an economic reason for growing trees, so more would be grown. It would help if fewer trees were imported of course.

Plastics are cheap at present because oil is relatively cheap, but in a few years, things may change dramatically, then wood will become more attractive. With the right wood and the right treatment, wood can last for decades or even centuries, rather better than plastics.

The big bits of trees get used for construction, and at the other end everything could be chipped and used for fuel, this is the only sustainable fuel as trees works like a solar battery.

The really big problem will be that Britain cannot support 60million people without food imports and all the oil derived fuel.

I have built 2 large sheds, No. 2 is on the readershed site. Both are whatever wood I could get hold of, including chip board which I waterproved myself before assembly. Groundwork is the worst part of the build. Wood is good because you an always stick a big nail in it to hang something up and metal things don't go rusty so quickly. Get advice from the BCO about size and location. Make sure the roof is the most water tight part of the construction. The light in through a roof window is superior to that on the side and is more secure, I think. Double glazing widows are still functional and some are not bad looking too!!!! ;)

When I moved into this house 48 years ago now, there was a wooden garage that was erected in 1939.
About 25 years ago, we replaced the garage with a concrete one, so I constructed a shed from the t&g boards of the old garage. I made it with a sloping roof into which I let a few plastic panels to give some daylight lighting. It was basically 4 panes bolted together. It has served me well ever since until it was removed last week, because the land is now being developed into a building plot. I looked at the shed just before the digger moved in. The woodwork was sound, no rot at all. It would have lasted many years longer if necessary. The only treatment it has ever had is creosote, which is now unobtainable. But it does show what an effective product creosote is. Would a plastic shed have lasted as long?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back