Has anyone paved their own driveway by themselves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alright guys,

Had anyone paved their own driveway before . Ideally it needs to be permeable to meet current regs (and I totally agree with those)

I would really like to do my own myself but have zero idea where to start.

I love DIY but lack experience and no one to teach me but youtube :)

At the moment I've bought a concrete breaker I'm working on getting the current stuff up which is a concrete something or other (see photos) as I understand it , it needs to be dug to 150mm below the DPC

IMG-20220422-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20220422-WA0016.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have you confirmed that you can get a drop kerb and planning?
Good point unfortunately I can't get a dropped kerb as the parking spaces are protected in my area

But I will be installing a permeable block paving driveway and my neighbour has a dropped kerb so I will use his

Which is not strictly correct but by doing this I will free up a parking space for the rest of my neighbours

Sponsored Links
  • Paving expert is the ideal site as above. Look at it for examples of the various layers.
  • Your drive should finish at 150mm below DPC so really you need to excavate to about 400mm below DPC.
  • If you can do all your demolition/excavation and pile it in one place, a grab lorry can take it away much cheaper than skips.
  • Further save money by getting the lorry to drop the sub base and take away the excavations at the same time.
  • What surface do you want? Permeable blocks?
  • Get four wooden or steel pegs at your four corners and set up string lines to mark the final levels.
  • After excavating, concrete in your edging to that level.
  • Then add and compact type 3 sub base, chippings, blocks. Use a long board to keep things level and a plate compactor to compact.
  • Joint with more of the fine chippings.
Keep looking at Paving Expert. It has everything you need.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back