Has anyone seen this type of external stopcock key before?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long story short, I had a plumber out today and he need to turn off the external water supply. After waiting for Severn Trent for four hours he had to leave.
When the inspector eventually turned up he showed me the key attachment he used to turn the supply off. It fits over the whole meter and the whole thing turns to shut off the supply.
Being as the plumber will have to come back to finish the work and I don't fancy having to call out the Severn Trent guys again after having waited all day for them this time I thought I'd enquire as to what it might be called and where I'd be able to source one from as my Googling has been completely in vain.
The inspector let me take a photo, He seemed completely in the dark as to where you'd get one or what it was called as well!

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Long story short, I had a plumber out today and he need to turn off the external water supply. After waiting for Severn Trent for four hours he had to leave.
When the inspector eventually turned up he showed me the key attachment he used to turn the supply off. It fits over the whole meter and the whole thing turns to shut off the supply.
Being as the plumber will have to come back to finish the work and I don't fancy having to call out the Severn Trent guys again after having waited all day for them this time I thought I'd enquire as to what it might be called and where I'd be able to source one from as my Googling has been completely in vain.
The inspector let me take a photo, He seemed completely in the dark as to where you'd get one or what it was called as well!

Cheers!

Tell them to get out there and fix it properly! You should have a working
stop cock you can use to turn your water on and off should you require
it. Not turning the meter or anything.
If necessary they will have to dig it up to do it.

Never seen anything like it in 40 years of selling plumbing materials.

Also in 40 years I've never heard of turning a meter to turn off a supply.

Looks like the key used to remove the meter. Others:

meter_keys.jpg

Sponsored Links
That must be a key to remove the internal part of the meter, as Water Meters are now being changed to remote control reading facility , it would be quicker than turning off the water every time.

Some if not most meters now come pulsed and just need a wire attaching to facilitate remote reading. No need to dismantle.

It's for a plastic quarter turn tap in a boundary box.
You can't actually buy them, ST water had them made by an engineering firm.

What they should have done is refitted you the plastic handle that's more than likely missing!

We made our own and welded it up but it's not as posh as that, just a fork shape at the right width to catch the two indents on the stop tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back